Anybody with a PPC G4/G5 and Logic

blinkofani

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody who still maintain an old G4 or G5 computer(just for the fun of it) tried the new Sorbet Leopard OS that came out recently? It promises Tiger-like performance on those old machines but with a more up-to-date OS. Reviews say that it’s stable and all but I wonder if someone was to install complex programs like LP 9.0.2 on such OS(10.5.9 they call it) if all works well. Anybody tried it, if only for fun? Mine being a small 12’’ PBG4 at 1.5GHz shows real worse performance when running Leopard vs Tiger. Thanks.

I have a Powerbook G4 (with Logic 6.4 Pro on it), but have no interest to tinker with it, really...

Just read a bit more about it and the performance gains seem marginal at best going from Leopard to Sorbet Leopard, around 2-3%. Don’t think it’s worth all the hassle for this much.

Des, don’t know what PBG4 you have but do you have both Tiger and Leopard installed on that machine? Do you see Tiger running much smoother than Leopard on your end? I installed 10.5 mainly so I can still « half-run » LP9.0.2 on that… don’t know if I should install LP8 instead. Thanks.

I have no idea what's on it, offhand. But the thing is slow as dead flies, and I doubt there's much you could do in software to make it much faster...

As far as LP9 and earlier goes, you're better off running it in an El Capitan or earlier VM on a modern machine, which is what I do when I want to access some older Intel and PPC apps...

I have no idea what's on it, offhand. But the thing is slow as dead flies, and I doubt there's much you could do in software to make it much faster...

As far as LP9 and earlier goes, you're better off running it in an El Capitan or earlier VM on a modern machine, which is what I do when I want to access some older Intel and PPC apps...

Thanks for the reply, I sure can’t accuse you of being slow to respond!! :D

Unfortunately the only thing worth salvaging now off my trusty Dually G4 is the massive copper heatsink and maybe the Pioneer Superdrive.. I installed Leopard and L8 on it from Jaguar running L6. Some things worked really well in L8 but others like some reverbs I couldn't use at all.

Never thought of using a VM. I still have all my L6 and L8 install disks but no way of getting them into my iMac since it has no DVD drive.