Is This Gain Change Due to the Pan Law?

NearDeafExperience

Hello,

Noob here. I'm using Logic 10.6.2 with Superior Drummer 3 and I'm trying to split to stereo outputs from SD3 into dual-mono in Logic so that I can process them individually. In this case, KickIn and KickOut from SD3 are coming in on Supe3 and Sup4, respectively. From what I understand is that Core Audio only shuttles things between applications in stereo. So, to try to get around this I've brought the stereo Supe3-4 in twice, on two separate input channels, and have added a dual-mono Gain plugins on each track. I've then set the R portion of the gain to -96dB in the first (Supe3-L) instance, and the L portion of the gain to -96dB in the second (Sure-R) instance. Supe3-L now only contains KickIn (on the left), and Supe3-R now only contains KickOut (on the right). The Level Meters pre and post the gain plugins show there is no loss to either side in this filtering step. So far so good. Now I've gone and bussed Supe3-L to Bus 100 (KickIn) and Supe3-R to Bus 101 (KickOut), but I've set both buss inputs to mono. With all faders at unity gain, the Level Meters on the busses are measuring 6dB below the individual input channels. I think this may be expected due to the Pan Law, but wanted to ask to make sure I'm not doing something wrong for what I'm trying to accomplish here. Screenshot hereafter.

1477189867_why6dB.thumb.png.b40de9bdbf65564037f7273ef661b64b.png

Thank you in advance!

-NearDeafExperiene

From what I understand is that Core Audio only shuttles things between applications in stereo.

I've no idea what you mean here, you can have mono, stereo or multichannel audio in CoreAudio and Logic just fine.

Why don't you just load a multi-output instance of the plugin, with as many mono or stereo channels as you need coming up on their own mixer channels for individual processing - that's what it's designed to do. I'm not sure why you're going on "splitting stereo" channels all the time.

I do have multi-output instance of the plugin running. I've spent a good 5 hours researching this now and on the SD3 forum and there seems to be no way to bring the individual drum mics into Logic in mono. The best I can do in SD3 is pan one mic hard left and another hard right to its outputs. Then Logic input routing doesn't allow anything other than stereo pairs (shown). Even if I create an Aux channel from scratch it doesn't allow me to choose a mono input from SD3. I could consume a full stereo track for each mic output but I already have over 50 stems in this session and performance is an issue. What I'm trying to do here seems perfectly reasonable and a simple gain plugin is a lot less overhead than running an extra track through Core Audio I think. Maybe this is just an issue with SD3, but I would think that regardless of how I package the audio (mono or stereo) to send over Core Audio, I should be able to select full stereo or just one of the mono stems when I bring it into Logic.

The plugin tells Logic what outputs it supports. I don't have SD3, but if it only supports stereo outputs for each additional output, that's the way the plugin has been designed, not a limit of Core Audio or Logic in general... and if that is the case, then you'd have to pan each individual drum left and right to separate them if you wanted them on their own mono channels - but that seems odd to me, given the thoroughness and complexity of SD3 in general.

Someone else who does have SD3 would be better to weigh in on that, though...

(I had a look at EZ Drummer, and it supports either stereo outpus, or a multiout configu of 16x stereo outputs - I'm guessing that's also then what SD3 is outputting? In this case, I'd just use stereo channels rather than going to the extra work to split into left and right individual channels - honestly, the performance hit of this will be pretty negligble... Obviously this mounts up though if you're putting a lot of stereo plugins on each, so I understand why this could be non-optimal.)

Edited by des99

OK, thanks for the clarification. As good as SD3 is, it has some annoying "features" and this is one of them, based on my research in their forums. I'm going to see if I can get away with routing each mic in stereo from a performance perspective. In the interim, if someone can explain to me if the 6dB loss in my original post is expected, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

So, it does seem weird to me that independent of what the plugin driver is doing to package the audio, and what it says it supports, that Logic doesn't let me just select one of the sides. I mean, it's a stereo source. Let me pick one of the sides. Worst case it's empty.

Yes, I know what you mean. Unfortunately, when the plugin only supplies stereo outputs to Logic, you can't "connect" that multi-output to an aux (which automatically assumes the channel format of the input it's been given), and then change the channel format like you can on audio tracks.

Ahhh... OK, the pan law setting is in Project Settings not Preferences. Right now it's set to -3dB. I will test that and post here if it makes a difference. In either case, I'm going to try to see if my rig will keep running if I just send all the mics over in stereo first. I certainly don't WANT to have all these extra aux tracks if I don't need them. :-)

When I changed the pan law to 0dB I immediately heard an increase in volume, but the peak levels in the KickIn and KickOut Meters did not change. They still display 6dB down from each of the split inputs. Very odd. It probably all makes sense everywhere except in my head, lol. Anyway, I can use this if I need to now that the loudness matches, but I will try the stereo method first. Thanks again!