Audio suddenly stops [SOLVED]

Ninecows
Go to solution Solved by Ninecows,

This is not the usual overload. I can have any virtual instrument loaded (both logics own and 3rd party) and playing along on my midi controller just monitoring. Just one track.

Suddenly audio will just disappear. No other warning. It will just go silent and nothing on the meters. Doesn't matter if I play notes with mouse on the piano roll or from my midi keyboard. Logic will see the message (eg. No In changes to A4 or whatever I play), but it won't make a sound. If I change sample frequency (eg. from 44,1 to 48 and back again) the audio will come back. Maybe for 30 minutes, maybe for 1 minute.

Sometimes the meters will come back to life again but nothing is heard. So change sampling frequency, play a note, meters change, but no audio is heard. If this happens I will have to either restart logic or even the computer. Then audio is back again.

Other apps work nicely before and after these events. I can go to YouTube and play back a video with audio. It's just within logic it seems.

I have just started using an aggregated audio device (Helix and Focusrite combined) with also a Motu Pre8 attached to the Focusrite with optical, so I thought that was the reason, but turning off the motu and helix, just using the focusrite still causes the issue. Maybe it's the latest version of logic? Any ideas?

Edited by Ninecows

I have just started using an aggregated audio device (Helix and Focusrite combined) with also a Motu Pre8 attached to the Focusrite with optical, so I thought that was the reason, but turning off the motu and helix, just using the focusrite still causes the issue.

Still it does sound like an audio device or driver issue.

What if you try to work with the built-in audio input and output devices, for example with headphones connected directly into your Mac: can you reproduce this same issue or does everything behave as expected then?

Hi again

I have tried the following and still the audio will stop after a few minutes:

Upgraded Focusrite Control to latest version (from 3.6... to 3.7.something)

Changed input/output to my iMacs own mic/speaker.

Removed all USB devices apart from the GSI DMC-122 midi controller and my logitech keyboards dongle.

Reduced summing to standard 32bit precision

Increased buffersize to 128 (it was 64)

Loaded a completely blank project. One instrument track with Logics own E-piano.

and now.... (drum roll):

Unplugged the DMC-122 and plugged in the Matrixbrute as midi controller instead. I played and played. Then I plugged the DMC-122 back in. Could still play on the Matrixbrute... Played two notes on the DMC-122 and BAM! Sound is gone again. Looks like the DMC is doing something "illegal"... will investigate and get back. Really weird.

On another (perhaps related?) note: One in a while I get a small electrical shock, when changing from one equipment to another. Everything that can be grounded IS grounded to the same outlet. Those that uses a wall mount power supply is not as there is no ground pin on these. They are connected to my iMac with USB.

Ok... sniffed around in the midi events.

Apparently the DMC-122 suddenly sends 11 (expression) = 0 on ch1. That seems to kill everything after that. If I go back in the recording and start playback before that message it will play fine, but any note I press while monitoring will not be heard and any note played after that is muted.

As I was just monitoring (and not recording) what I was rehearsing on the piano I did not notice that the instrument was still alive, but just received CC11 = 0 (which obviously will make most midi instruments go silent).

I think it's safe to say that Logic is not to blame here and I need to investigate why my beloved DMC-122 suddenly has decided to fire off CC11 = 0 randomly.

• Solution

It was a classic. An expression pedal connected to the DMC, nearly at toe position and so sensitive that it randomly would read 0 instead of 2 and then send that to all software instruments.

It doesn’t explain the few issues I had last night where there was no sound at all despite activity on the meters. But that could be the old driver? Haven’t reproduced that this evening. This evening was three hours I won’t get back of plugging/unplugging all my stuff. Will get back if the sudden death of all audio returns.

It was a classic. An expression pedal connected to the DMC, nearly at toe position and so sensitive that it randomly would read 0 instead of 2 and then send that to all software instruments.

Alright! Nice sleuthing there. Thanks for letting us know what it was in the end. Glad you ended up resolving this. :D

It doesn’t explain the few issues I had last night where there was no sound at all despite activity on the meters. But that could be the old driver? Haven’t reproduced that this evening. This evening was three hours I won’t get back of plugging/unplugging all my stuff. Will get back if the sudden death of all audio returns.

No indeed it does not. If this issue creeps back in start a new thread for it, since it doesn't appear to be related to the DMC expression pedal. I am marking this one as SOLVED.