Will ipad replace Mac computers

I had a huge argument with my cousin who knows nothing about professional music creation. He said ipads will replace computers and apple computers will no longer be availale. I tried to make the argument about Logic, why I need a computer, monitor, etc., but he wouldn't budge. Any good talking points here that I can counter his arguments with? Thanks.
Logic Pro 10.4.8 | Macbook Pro 2020-- SSD drive| Catalina 10.15.7 | 2.3 GHz i7 | 16 GB memory| Melodyne 5 | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre| Summit Audio 2Ba-221 preamp

I'm not sure you need to proselytize your cousin, but what do I know.

I remember having a lively discussion on this here a while ago. Just looked it up, turns out it actually was one question and one answer. Anyway, here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157067

Christian Obermaier
Contact me for private Logic Consulting, Training, Troubleshooting via Skype, Zoom or Teamviewer
1 x MacPro 6core 2010 24Gb RAM, 2 x MacBookPro i7 2012 16Gb RAM, OSX.14.6. Mojave, Logic X.5.1

Thanks Christian. And I see the person who answered is you!
Logic Pro 10.4.8 | Macbook Pro 2020-- SSD drive| Catalina 10.15.7 | 2.3 GHz i7 | 16 GB memory| Melodyne 5 | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre| Summit Audio 2Ba-221 preamp

In my opinion, at some point, computers as we've known them for the past few decades (a keyboard, a mouse and a screen) will disappear. As technology evolves, most devices we use will be or have part of them become computerized. This already started with our phones. Our TV sets. Our cars, fridges, cooking devices, watches, connected heaters, lights, alarms, self driving lawn mowers, self driving vacuum cleaners, book readers, etc.

The last time I purchased a main entry door for my house, some models didn't have a keyhole, they were computerized and connected, so that once could let someone else in remotely, lock the door remotely, authorized someone specific to get in only at a specific time, etc.

So my guess is that ultimately you'll have multiple devices for each specific use, but they won't necessarily be the computers we know today. After all, a music recording/production device would be better equipped with faders, knobs, and transport controls than space bars, volume-plus and volume-minus keys, etc. Sure, a keyboard is a great device for entering text, and maybe they'll stick around for a while, just like they do on large consoles in big recording studios today.

My new Logic Pro Book is out!

Be that as it may, David, my front door has a lock. And, it does not have a video camera. So far as I am aware, neither my thermostat, nor my refrigerator, nor my kitchen stove is listening to me. I do not share my files with Apple on "iCloud," and I do not "ask Siri" for anything.

Mike Robinson - "I wanna quit being a computer consultant and become a composer and arranger at age fifty-nevermind."
Logic Pro X, MacBook Pro, 88-key MIDI controller.

Be that as it may, David, my front door has a lock. And, it does not have a video camera. So far as I am aware, neither my thermostat, nor my refrigerator, nor my kitchen stove is listening to me. I do not share my files with Apple on "iCloud," and I do not "ask Siri" for anything.

Yes. For now.... ;) And perhaps you won't have either of those things in your lifetimes, in fact that's likely. But what about future generations?

I look at the past to know the future. I'm reminded of my grand mother. She lived in a small village in the mountains. When the telephone company came to our house to offer to install a (wired) telephone, she was stunned: she said: "Why would I ever need to have a telephone? If I need to talk to someone, I put my coat on, take my cane, and go to their house talk to them." A few years later, she had a telephone installed and we could communicate with her, which she had never conceived as something possible or of any interest. Fast forward one generation later, and everyone spends their days on a wireless smart phone that allows them to browse the internet and play video games. Can you guess what it will be like in one or two generations?

My new Logic Pro Book is out!

I think I'll defer that intriguing notion for another day – except to say that I detect a certain "overly eager naïvité" in our present adoption of technology. People are not looking at the down-side. Or maybe even considering, soberly enough, that a down-side could exist. Would you knowingly drive a car which had "drive by wire" in which someone out there on the Internet could take control of the car away from you while you're travelling 70 mph on the highway inside of it? Undoubtedly not. But, you might be driving just such a car today ... not knowing, and certainly not suspecting. Because there is no historical precedent; nothing to relate to in your entire lifetime history of "driving a car."

They could fling you into oncoming traffic or against a bridge abutment and kill you in an accident that would be blamed on you. Or, they could pull you over on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere and trap you inside of your own car until you smashed the windows. And they could suddenly send you down the highway at 80 miles an hour when they detected (using the built-in video camera that tracks your every move ... didn't you know it was there?) that you were trying to get out. All of these things are possible, right now, in millions of production cars.

"This is not a drill. Repeat: this is not a drill!"

The law hasn't caught up to the technology yet, and "what eventuality will finally force the law to do it" is very unpleasant to think about. I'm afraid that it will only happen after great and very-public tragedy.

Mike Robinson - "I wanna quit being a computer consultant and become a composer and arranger at age fifty-nevermind."
Logic Pro X, MacBook Pro, 88-key MIDI controller.

• 3 weeks later...
If anyone can show me an iPad that can run two monitors, has 7TB internal storage, accepts multiple audio streams via FireWire, and allows me to control LPX using a full-size QWERTY board, a mouse, trackpad, MIDI keyboard and MIDI controller with 9 hardware rotaries, I'll maybe think about buying one. But before I do, could some one please spell out the advantage to me? Oh, did I mention 128GB RAM and my video editing requirements? :mrgreen:
Mac Pro 5,1 • Catalina • LPX 10.6 • M-Audio Axiom 49 • Korg nanoKontrol • Focusrite Saffire Pro26 • Embarrassing amount of plug-ins