Fade in and out several midi tracks at once.

bhergar

Thanks in advance for your help. I’m a beginner with logic pro, so I don’t construct complicated projects at this moment. I have several midi files, that I developed and use with a yamaha keyboard (psr sx900). I need to make some adjustments and changes to those midi files and take them back to be use in the yamaha keyboard. I have been trying, in several ways, to include a fade out (CC 7, Volume) to several tracks of the project at once without any positive solution. I was able to do it to one track at a time but to all the tracks at the same time in order to have the same behavior at the end of the song. It would be ridiculous to edit the file and include several midi CC 7 lines at the end of the file with the reducion of the volume parameters one by one. Because I need the the midi file to be taken back to the Yamaha, the file must be compatible again with the keyboard, that means that, the only thing that changes is to include several cc 7 at the end of the file in each track. Is it posible to edit these files using logic pro and fade out or in several midi tracks at once?

Thanks.

Yamaha keyboards are notorious for looking on the world of MIDI in a, let's say - special way. In any case, driving different instruments via different MIDI channels pretty much requires the use of MIDI CC7 for volume on each individual MIDI channel *unless* there is an extra, global MIDI channel including master volume for the keyboard's entire multichannel performance. The Yamaha's manual can tell you if that's the case.

Christian Obermaier
Contact me for private Logic Consulting, Training, Troubleshooting via Skype, Zoom or Teamviewer
1 x MacPro 6core 2010 24Gb RAM, 2 x MacBookPro i7 2012 16Gb RAM, OSX.14.6. Mojave, Logic X.5.1

Thank you Christian for your prompt response, Yes I had the chance to look this other alternative but unfortunately I did not find that posible solution on yamaha itself. I can tell you that in other midi editor apps, specially in Windos base Pc, most of these kind of programs permits to edit two or more midi tracks at the same time in order to include the fade out/in (Cc7) at the end/beginning of every midi track at once, starting at any value and ending in 0 or 127. I now that in logic pro you can edit the midi track specifically to include taht fade i or out, but the thing is that it only permits to do it to one track at a time, one by one. My question is, is there a way to edit several tracks at the same time to include or change any cc parameter? Thanks again.

I'd do it like this:

fade.gif.bfab42e09faac11a1e16c38454833034.gif

or, as every track pretty likely has a different starting volume, don't copy the first volume Region but redo the fade for each track.

Christian Obermaier
Contact me for private Logic Consulting, Training, Troubleshooting via Skype, Zoom or Teamviewer
1 x MacPro 6core 2010 24Gb RAM, 2 x MacBookPro i7 2012 16Gb RAM, OSX.14.6. Mojave, Logic X.5.1

Again thanks a lot Christian, very kind to take your time and bring me some help, it could be an alternative in case of a situation! I didn’t understand at the end of the video, you included several new midi tracks with the same midi chanel as above containing the cc7 to fade out each channel. What could be the next step? is there any possible solution for mixing the both tracks? for having just the track with its own data plus all control change parameters and so on? Remember that the idea is to adjust de midi file and play it again on the yamaha keyboard, , some of those file I use, have 14 or 16 tracks. But it could be a good alternative, At this moment I’m concern about the logical pro application, I can see that is a powerful tool for managing audio projects, but managing midi files it has lacks that other midi editors handle very good, like this case, a simple fade out ok all tracks at once just with one utility chart. Best regards.

Well, there's actually like eight ways to create a fadeout in Logic, some of them accomplished with precisely three mouse clicks, but if the request is that the result is a multichannel MIDI file where no master channel for such a task exists, there's some manual labour left to do.

I showed you how to quickly create exactly the same fade across several MIDI channels. You could do this as well manually on every existing Region, without extra tracks. I sometimes prefer keeping different data on separate tracks, so Notes on one track, CC1, CCs, CC7, CC10, CC11 automation each on their separate tracks, all driving the same instrument. This makes it very easy to just shift an entire Region of CC2 a bit earlier, or divide a Region of CC11 in two and stretch or scale the second half, or any other thing that I'm eager to try without wrecking anything else.

However, once you're done editing, basic MIDI file export hygiene requires all Regions playing on one MIDI channel being on one track and, to be safe, being joined (ctrl-click the selected Regions and go to Bounce & Join>Join) into one large Region, ideally starting at 1.1.1.1. Empty tracks don't get exported.

Then File>Export>All MIDI Tracks As MIDI File and you should be good.

Christian Obermaier

Helo Christian, yes you are right, at first when trying to understand and learn a little bit of the Logic Pro app, I found that there where a lot of ways to fade in or out, but most of them are explained for just one track and for audio projects, I didn't find a practical solution for doing that for several MIDI tracks at once, and with the idea of having as final result incorporate a series of CC7 in each track from x value to cero, that in order to make or have those midi files compatible again with any midi keyboard/sequencer. I was doing it one track a a time, but a very unpractical solution, and a lot of work for it.

I put on practice the idea/solution you showed me, creating a new track that contains the fade out automatation (cc 7), and what I did next was to copy or blend each of my tracks with this new fade track at the end of each, as a result I have each of my midi tracks with there cc7 lines at the end of the file fading out. Yes as you say, it has a little more labor to do, compared to other midi editors, but is a very good solution, thanks. I appreciate very much your help for giving me this very good alternative. Very kind.

Best Regards

Bernardo