2017 iMac, Mojave. Should I update?

I have a 2017 27" iMac

3.5Ghz Intel i5, 40 GB RAM DDR4,

still running Mojave 10.14.6

I have never been happy with this machine, spinning wheel a lot, songs with few tracks stopping (not often, but still) and I have to just stop and hit play again but this shouldn't happen. Like I said, when I want to mix, it has to "decide" for 10 seconds with a spinning wheel...

Anyway, it works otherwise. But I was wondering if anyone knows if Catalina or Big Sur would/should make an improvement?

I don't like to fix things that already work but the little hiccups seem to indicate either just a lemon, or I need to update.

The problems have been from the get-go, but I didn't really use the computer for recording until I had it almost a year, and it was working enough, But it is getting on my nerves.

Does anyone know if one of these updates would work/make sense?

Thanks

If it's a spinning HD in the iMac, my guess is that's your problem. I'm using an older iMac than yours on Mojave, but I'm using an external SSD as system drive. Works lik a charm... I don't think updating the OS will help you...

Ahhh, you are right. For some reason, I thought I had a smaller SDD but I dont.

So I would need to install my OS on an external SDD to quicken things up? How do you connect it?