Akai APC40 Ableton proving excellent with LPX

Just wanted to share what a great controller this is proving to be for me. They seem to sell quite cheaply on eBay. While I realise part of the reason may be that energetic dance mixers can wear out the small faders, I picked up a tidy one for £85, and I've written the rotary assignments for 40 plug-ins so far. In addition, I have the eight channel faders assigned to 1-8, 9-16 & 17-24, with the Master as a constant across the three Modes.

Now I've really got my head round Controller Assignments, the APC40 has turned into a game-changer. With 10 faders, 17 rotaries and 40 buttons in the central section, you can get hardware interaction with the plug-ins you use most often with even very simple Learn routines.

All I need to do now is train myself to use the APC40 and not the mouse...

I almost managed to spoil my day, until I took a closer look at what MIDI Monitor had been telling me all along. Because the APC40 owner's guide is completely aimed at Ableton Live users, I hadn't taken on board that the buttons marked Track Selection are effectively scene changes for the 8 rotaries closest to you. (So Track 1/B0 becomes Track2/B1 etc, following the usual 'arrays start at zero' orthodoxy.)

Once I'd recovered from my fright that "the knobs have stopped working", I began to see the potential. Last time I looked, 8x8 = 64. Also, there are 8 associated buttons that are similarly expanded.

That's a lot of hardware control if you're creating assignments for a classic synth... :D

Edited by simoncroft

• 7 months later...

Hi there. i am attempting to do the same thing. I got the 8 faders working and the master. But was trying to figure out how to map the next series of faders. 9-16. The knobs. Also trying to figure out that track Selection (scene selection). If you remember any tips please let me know. kind regards

11 hours ago, B-Digi said:

Hi there. i am attempting to do the same thing. I got the 8 faders working and the master. But was trying to figure out how to map the next series of faders. 9-16. The knobs. Also trying to figure out that track Selection (scene selection). If you remember any tips please let me know. kind regards

See if this helps?