I need new headphones just for mixing.

Hi folks,

Just for the purpose of mixing songs in logic pro, I have a few older headsets that seems good for mixing from a while ago:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Professional Studio Monitor Headphones

and

Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone

- both wired. the MDR7506 are busted now and I was thinking of getting something new just for mixing.

- it would be nice if they were easy to wear for longer time periods.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated - dave

I also use an ATH-M50X and it's great, but I agree that they are not very comfortable for longer periods. On top I live in tropical country and unless I boost the aircon, I start sweating in them because they are very hot. My favourite, fresh, light and great sound, are my 15+ yo Sony MDR-XD400. They're so comfy that sometime I go to bed and I forget I have them on. ;)

Since I had these for a long time (before they broke) I just got a new pair of Sony MDR7506. The first thing I noticed was that they seemed somewhat bright as triplets mentioned.

Q: I seem to recall from many years ago that new headphones needed some playback hours to "break in" and then the highs would calm down after a while. Am I nuts - or is there some truth to that?

If you're willing to spend a bit, the Slate VSX headphones are great. They are very comfortable for long periods and they come bundled with software for room emulation that makes it much easier to mix on headphones and have your mix translate to speakers accurately. I like them a lot, expensive but worth it.