New Mac Studio + Studio Display + black & silver keyboards, mouse & trackpad

No seriously, your old Mac already has plenty of GPU for everything you might do with LogicPro. The extra GPU is only useful if you are doing a lot of extremely intensive video rendering, like you're working on animation and rendering graphics FX and stuff like that. You don't need it for DAW work. But hey, if its only a few hundred bucks, why not...but really....unless you are a video or photo professional....in which case you would already know you need it...you don't need it.

No, GPU power is not for a DAW - it's for rendering complex lighting scenes in Cinema 4D or Nuke, game development, scientific research etc - super GPU intensive tasks. All Logic needs is basic screen redering and a few simple metal renderings for parts of it's UI (eg, Chromaverb) - the GPU is not being taxed for these tasks, and you don't need to soup up the GPU any more than the basic one, which as has been said, is *easily* up to the task.

Yup, what Dewdman42 said.

Screen pixels are pocket change for a GPU.

So there is no use case for Logic where more GPU cores are better with these new machines?

Slightly different answer, but effectively the same sentiment: unless you're maxing out the display possibilities, using five 6K screens and an additional 4K one, it won't matter.

I think Apple will sell a LOT of these new Mac Studios. The I/O is a huge plus and a real drawcard.

When I upgraded my system and got a 2019 iMac it was only because the Mac Pro was waaaay overspecced and overpriced for my needs. I would have preferred to have a system like that, that I can swap out drives and RAM myself. My iMAc was one of the last you could add RAM to so that was a huge plus.

I've been thoroughly spoiled with my iMac 27" monitor and would never want to go anything less than that. The new monitor sounds really nice and I like the idea of the extra I/O but pretty expensive nonetheless.

I can afford to wait. I consider my iMac still a pretty new computer and for most tasks it barely breaks a sweat.

What about the speeds of Apples larger SSDs? Be interested to hear any comments on that.

Here we go. Confirmation that iMac is returning to its roots as a consumer model.

Makes sense to me, anyway: Apple are still very tidy about their computer product lines, and a higher-tier (and thus midrange) iMac would have cannibalized sales of the Studio offerings, and vice versa. Maybe the 24” sees better processors, but that’s all I’d expect.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/03/11/apple-no-larger-screened-imac-pro/?fbclid=IwAR1IfRT-dJeIdstrViFNnjALRCxlwSYpBPdE5Jfn8_zvlcwvMy8Z96L0fow

Here we go. Confirmation that iMac is returning to its roots as a consumer model.

Makes sense to me, anyway: Apple are still very tidy about their computer product lines, and a higher-tier (and thus midrange) iMac would have cannibalized sales of the Studio offerings, and vice versa. Maybe the 24” sees better processors, but that’s all I’d expect.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/03/11/apple-no-larger-screened-imac-pro/?fbclid=IwAR1IfRT-dJeIdstrViFNnjALRCxlwSYpBPdE5Jfn8_zvlcwvMy8Z96L0fow

i don't get that at all. why would apple stop developing the imac? i don't see anything that could be considered 'confirmation the imac is returning to it's roots' (whatever that means). people buy macbook pros, minis, imacs... and now the studio. no reason to think one line will be weakened to not hurt the sales of another (altho wondering if the studio & mini becomes one line at some point).

as always, it's all speculation; mine is that we see a 'pro-specc'd' imac by summer or fall. and, as always, we won't know until we get there.

i don't get that at all. why would apple stop developing the imac?

They aren't stopping development of the iMac. They just aren't continuing with a 27" model anymore.

i don't see anything that could be considered 'confirmation the imac is returning to it's roots' (whatever that means).

MacRumors says it was reported by ArsTechnica, but if you follow the link to the ArsTechnica article, at the very end there's an update that says Apple confirmed to them that the 27" is EOL. As for the model's roots: in 1997, Steve Jobs made a point to demonstrate during a keynote presentation that he was distilling all the convoluted and often confusing product lines that Apple had come out with in the time he was gone, and refocused computers into four sectors: portables and desktops, consumer and professional models. The bondi blue G3 iMac was the first new desktop released under this structure. Over time, the gulf between the consumer and pro models began to expand, so after the failure (of sort) of the Power Mac G4, iMacs began to grow in power to fill that middle tier. It's pretty clear to me that the Mac Studio is meant to take that position back.

wondering if the studio & mini becomes one line at some point).

I think if that were gonna happen, it would have launched that way. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mini gain access to M1 Pro chips, though.

i don't get that at all. why would apple stop developing the imac?

They aren't stopping development of the iMac. They just aren't continuing with a 27" model anymore.

i don't see anything that could be considered 'confirmation the imac is returning to it's roots' (whatever that means).

MacRumors says it was reported by ArsTechnica, but if you follow the link to the ArsTechnica article, at the very end there's an update that says Apple confirmed to them that the 27" is EOL. As for the model's roots: in 1997, Steve Jobs made a point to demonstrate during a keynote presentation that he was distilling all the convoluted and often confusing product lines that Apple had come out with in the time he was gone, and refocused computers into four sectors: portables and desktops, consumer and professional models. The bondi blue G3 iMac was the first new desktop released under this structure. Over time, the gulf between the consumer and pro models began to expand, so after the failure (of sort) of the Power Mac G4, iMacs began to grow in power to fill that middle tier. It's pretty clear to me that the Mac Studio is meant to take that position back.

wondering if the studio & mini becomes one line at some point).

I think if that were gonna happen, it would have launched that way. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mini gain access to M1 Pro chips, though.

i've already read all that. my point was this "Here we go. Confirmation that iMac is returning to its roots as a consumer model.", which i don't agree with. whatever apple does next with the imac, i personally believe we'll see more pro features, more ports, more power. and (again) this is apple, so we won't know until we get there,

Fair enough, but I would recommend not betting on that. We already know the 27" is discontinued… The Mac Studio exists specifically because of the thermal envelope needs of the Max and Ultra processors. The Studios with Ultras are even about 2 lbs. heavier because their heatsink needed to be made of copper to better handle the potential heat. That would be a huge issue for the design of the 24" iMacs, after just making them the thinnest they've ever been…

Fair enough, but I would recommend not betting on that. We already know the 27" is discontinued… The Mac Studio exists specifically because of the thermal envelope needs of the Max and Ultra processors. The Studios with Ultras are even about 2 lbs. heavier because their heatsink needed to be made of copper to better handle the potential heat. That would be a huge issue for the design of the 24" iMacs, after just making them the thinnest they've ever been…

this is apple; am not betting on anything, simply watching... and waiting.

Apple release great powerful computers but it's useless for most of us because we have no solution to access our huge sound libraries. I need to load my 15 kontakts full of 16 instruments each in vienna ensemble pro, at the speed of light. I don't want to wait for my templates to load for 5-10 minuts. I have those Owc thunderbay enclosure, it's so slow compared to my friends Sonnet X4 Nvme Raid0 installed in their 2019 macpro... We need 2022 Fast Thunderbolt 4 enclosures to fit the mac studio. Especially when you have 32To sound libraries.

This is ridiculous. We all know it. I would really love to stay with Logic which is honestly the only reason i use a Mac …so if a Mac is financially as much as a car it’s not gonna happen . Studio one is looking better all the time these days but I wish it wasn’t so. Cry

This is ridiculous. We all know it. I would really love to stay with Logic which is honestly the only reason i use a Mac …so if a Mac is financially as much as a car it’s not gonna happen . Studio one is looking better all the time these days but I wish it wasn’t so. Cry

what is the problem exactly? if the mac studio is in many ways more powerful that the current mac pro... isn't that enough? or the 14 & 16-inch macbook pros... and none of these macs is 'as much as a car'... unless you're talking about a really old, run-down used car. with the silicon chips, more ports, etc... it's a great time for the mac.

Ok ….i just jumped the gun ….wew….I just don’t want to lose my ability to run Logic on my non m1 chip imac ….at least not for a few years ….I’ve had 4 macs over the last 25 years and consider myself extremely privileged. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I think what really freaked me out was the 1,400 dollar monitor starting price ….but I guess I could or would get an m1 lap top or something …call it messed up but I bought the last ppc the last month of the last year right before apple made intel computers. Uh

I think what really freaked me out was the 1,400 dollar monitor starting price ….but I guess I could or would get an m1 lap top or something …call it messed up but I bought the last ppc the last month of the last year right before apple made intel computers. Uh

Or why not get a less expensive, non-Apple display?

Yeah, to me that’s the brilliance of this move. For their part, Apple stands to make a lot more money by separating the display from the computer, because that display can be used with many different devices (RIP Target Display Mode). But at the same time, people can invest the same amount of money, more or less, in just getting a more powerful computer itself, and BYO monitor.

Or why not get a less expensive, non-Apple display?

Yes true…

Yeah, to me that’s the brilliance of this move. For their part, Apple stands to make a lot more money by separating the display from the computer, because that display can be used with many different devices (RIP Target Display Mode). But at the same time, people can invest the same amount of money, more or less, in just getting a more powerful computer itself, and BYO monitor.

Always a price hike for technology advances I get it…and I love apple /logic …but yeah it’s tough to keep up and be a do it all customer/musician /producer…not necessarily in that order

what is the problem exactly?[/i] if the mac studio is in many ways more powerful that the current mac pro... isn't that enough? or the 14 & 16-inch macbook pros... and none of these macs is 'as much as a car'... unless you're talking about a really old, run-down used car. with the silicon chips, more ports, etc... it's a great time for the mac.

The Mac Studio may be a great choice for someone who used to be a Mac Pro customer, however not many people bought Mac Pros, many were perfectly happy to work with a then $1,799 27" Retina iMac, and have been waiting for years for an upgrade which never came and most likely never will.

So what's the alternative? I suppose a Mac mini plus a 3rd party screen from LG or Samsung or Dell. It's not that bad however that means we're back to having multiple cables all over our desk, when Apple was offering a great all-in-one solution with a 27" Retina screen with one single power chord for only $1,799, which now appears to be a thing of the past.

well, I've been waiting 12 years to replace my mid 2010 and it's still rock solid. I just don't have the latest Logic version any more. With 5000-6000$€ I can easily dare the change now (compared to 10.000 for a 16 core Intel Mac Pro) . I was never a fan of iMacs. So I'm happy.