Option-Dragging doesn’t work [SOLVED]

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hello! I’ve purchased David’s book (Logic Pro 10.5 PMP) yesterday and I’m stuck at lesson one due to a very simple thing that just doesn’t work.

It’s regarding Option-dragging, when I try this it always moves instead of copies. I tried releasing the option key slightly before releasing the mouse and vice versa. No matter what I do, it just moves it.

Are there any solutions or work arounds?

I’d like to mention that I’m SUPER happy with the book and that I’m having so much fun as well.

Thanks for taking the time reading, have a wonderful day.

Edited by Jochem

I tried releasing the option key slightly before releasing the mouse and vice versa.

It's definitely the other way around, release the mouse button first and Option last. In fact if you click-hold a region and try to press and release the Option key, you should see the name of the operation in the help tag change from move (when Option is released) to copy (when Option is pressed). Can you see that?

I tried releasing the option key slightly before releasing the mouse and vice versa.

It's definitely the other way around, release the mouse button first and Option last. In fact if you click-hold a region and try to press and release the Option key, you should see the name of the operation in the help tag change from move (when Option is released) to copy (when Option is pressed). Can you see that?

Wow, thanks for your swift reply! I think that it’s going wrong somewhere else, when I click hold it says “left corner” and when I click option it changes to “stretch”.

This makes me think it’s either a bug or a setting problem.

I got “Enable complete features” on (I don’t have the “Show advanced tools” option but they’re at the the same place so I figured it’s correct. My snap is set at smart and my drag at no overlap.

Maybe you know what the problem is now? Thanks in advance! I really hope I can continue the lessons today.

• Solution
I think that it’s going wrong somewhere else, when I click hold it says “left corner” and when I click option it changes to “stretch”.

It sounds like you're holding down the edge of your region, as if you were about to resize it. Instead, make sure you click-hold the middle of the region. If needed, zoom in a bit to make sure the region is big enough to click right in the middle, and not on one of the edges.

I think that it’s going wrong somewhere else, when I click hold it says “left corner” and when I click option it changes to “stretch”.

It sounds like you're holding down the edge of your region, as if you were about to resize it. Instead, make sure you click-hold the middle of the region. If needed, zoom in a bit to make sure the region is big enough to click right in the middle, and not on one of the edges.

I think it worked! The only thing that’s different is that I got one 8 bar file and one 4 bar file instead of three 4 bar files. I suspect this is no problem though.

Thank you so much, I couldn’t image that the author gets back to the reader so fast. I truely appreciate it! I will continue following your lessons! Thanks again.

I think it worked! The only thing that’s different is that I got one 8 bar file and one 4 bar file instead of three 4 bar files. I suspect this is no problem though.

Thank you so much, I couldn’t image that the author gets back to the reader so fast. I truely appreciate it! I will continue following your lessons! Thanks again.

[The only thing that’s different is that I got one 8 bar file and one 4 bar file instead of three 4 bar files. I suspect this is no problem though.

No, that doesn't matter. You can copy any selection of multiple elements of any lengths.

You're welcome! :)