Clean Install to Monterey and Current Logic Version

Gtrmatic

I'm trying to get out of the weeds after a week of reading and trying to simplify things. I'll try to summarize things as best I can and apologize if I've missed existing guidance already out there.

Firstly, I purchased a new Mac mini in summer of 2020 and everything went reasonably well (except for the interface). In System Preferences, I made sure to check the box to NOT do OS upGRADES, so my OS remained in Catalina the entire time. However, my system did install upDATES to Catalina and Logic during this time.

I started using time machine about a year later in June of 2021, changing to a new time machine external drive in October, 2021. As a result, I missed backups for portions of 2020 and the first half of 2021 (I was entirely focused on backing up my 2 projects and not on the importance of version history). I’ve since reconfigured “Software Updates” in Preferences so that it will no longer install Logic and Catalina updates and upgrades. However, I don’t have copies of all prior Logic and Catalina versions since my time machine backups have not been continuous.

Everything seems to be working okay but I can’t seem to access backups from my time machine external drives. I get a message about permissions. Also, there seem to be other issues possibly stemming from my bad choice of syncing projects to Dropbox. Finally, I’d like to switch my interface from the Apollo Twin to another manufacturer. Where I’m going with this is I feel like there is just a lot of residual crap that needs to be cleaned out. The buggieness of my time machine backups has me concerned.

As a result, I’m asking myself this question: It is reasonable to just wipe the disk and do a clean install of the OS, this time to the latest version of Monterey? I’d prefer to start over again with a clean machine if this makes sense.

For the Logic Pro application, should I then also install the latest version of Logic?

I presume the latest versions of Logic and Monterey would play reasonably nice together.

I want to use an entirely new LaCie hard drive for time machine and also start Carbon Copy Cloner. Also, as mentioned, I want to get a different interface.

Are the above actions similar to getting a new computer with the obvious difference being that my Mac mini was purchased in 2020? I presume the latest versions would run smoothly on this machine since it’s still pretty new.

All advice and guidance is greatly appreciated. Sorry if I’m asking any foolish questions.

Gtrmatic

Sure, you can install Monterey. I'm not sure what you're asking?

Yes, if you do a clean install, you'll have none of your data, apps or preferences, so you'll have to take care of all that yourself (make sure you back up your system drive before wiping it!). As for the Logic app, just redownload it from the AppStore.

Thanks for your quick response! Greatly appreciated! Mainly, I just wanted to see if this is a reasonable approach to a situation where I don’t have copies of my original logic at purchase time and also past updates. I know now it’s important to keep copies of each release but I don’t have them. I feel that my logic performance may be at risk as I can’t go back to an earlier version due to time machine unreliability and a lack of earlier version backups. I was wondering if it is just more prudent and safer to “jump ahead”, so to speak, to the latest Logic and Monterey versions and start over using a new time machine external drive going forward. Is it reasonable to expect that the most recent versions available i.e. logic from the App Store and current Monterey version are compatible? I know it’s a big process but I feel I made a mess of things. Thanks again! Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your quick response! Greatly appreciated! Mainly, I just wanted to see if this is a reasonable approach to a situation where I don’t have copies of my original logic at purchase time and also past updates. I know now it’s important to keep copies of each release but I don’t have them. I feel that my logic performance may be at risk as I can’t go back to an earlier version due to time machine unreliability and a lack of earlier version backups. I was wondering if it is just more prudent and safer to “jump ahead”, so to speak, to the latest Logic and Monterey versions and start over using a new time machine external drive going forward. Is it reasonable to expect that the most recent versions available i.e. logic from the App Store and current Monterey version are compatible? I know it’s a big process but I feel I made a mess of things. Thanks again! Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Yes, Logic, and all Apple apps are compatible with current OS versions, that’s a given.

I can’t guarantee your particular computer, and combination of software and hardware will work perfectly, so as long as you back up your current system, you can always revert back if something bad shows up. You’ll need to check Monterey compatibility with your other software and hardware of course… do that *before* you upgrade, rather than afterwards!

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, just thought i'd jump in on this thread as I'm having a problem updating Logic.

I've updated to Monterey from Catalina where I had Logic Pro 10.5.1 , I tried to upgrade to Logic 10.7.4 but in the App store I only have the option to "Open" Logic. So, I updated to Monterey and when I go to the app store I still only have the option to "Open" Logic, I thought with this update I could install it no? Anyway, it's a bit baffling and I don't know what to do - can anyone give suggestions on how to get Logic 10.7.4?

Thanks,

Aleks