16RAM M1 pro isn't enough? [SOLVED]

aviorrok
Go to solution Solved by aviorrok,

I know know why you think your ram is almost full. Look at your memory pressure graph. It's green (ok), and small.

You're using a little over half your memory, and a good portion of that is used by the OS.

Memory used 10.53 with only stock plugins? what will happen when I load Omnisphere, keyscape and serum? RAM full

If you boot your Mac from scratch and run nothing, you'll see about 8GB in use.

That doesn't really mean you've permanently used half your memory - the memory schemes on macOS are complicated, there are many levels of memory, cached, wired, active, inactive, paged, and your system will page out data it's not using but wants to keep around.

Obviously, if you want to load 32 Omnispheres each loading 3GB of samples without streaming and that's your typical use case, you probably want to go for a bigger system, but I think you'll find that 16GB is fine for typical uses.

Your memory pressure graph is your best single indicator of memory activity on your machine, so if you're a bit concerned, just go ahead and make typical projects, and check in on this as you go. If your always pushing memory pressure in the red, then perhaps for your uses you should have gone for more RAM, but if you don't see a problem, there generally isn't a problem.

I'm on 16GB too BTW (and have been for ten years) and it's never really help me back from the things I've used my machines to do.

Load your Omnisphere, Keyscape and Serum, and see what happens.

Hope that helps.

I think 16RAM is not enough

What the Activity monitor is showing you is that 16GB is enough to have Logic Pro open with a pretty large Logic project (156 channel strips in the Mixer, loaded with various Logic plug-ins: most vocal harmony tracks have 9 plug-ins each, some have more), Safari open with tabs for Facebook, Wala, Google, Telegram and some kind of video playing? (VTDecoderXPCService) all at the same time and with plenty more RAM to spare.

But even that in itself doesn't necessarily mean that much as your Mac is designed to use up as much available RAM as possible, so if you need more, it will find ways to use RAM in a more streamlined manner so that you can load more apps.

The Memory Pressure graph is a better indicator of whether or not you need more RAM. If it's in the green. the Mac is making the most efficient use of your RAM, and you're fine. If it's yellow, that shows that you have an app that is really RAM hungry and that is using too much RAM and if it's red, then you need more RAM.

Memory used 10.53 with only stock plugins? what will happen when I load Omnisphere, keyscape and serum? RAM full

Not necessarily, no, it doesn't work that way. You won't know until you try it.

• Solution
I think 16RAM is not enough

What the Activity monitor is showing you is that 16GB is enough to have Logic Pro open with a pretty large Logic project (156 channel strips in the Mixer, loaded with various Logic plug-ins: most vocal harmony tracks have 9 plug-ins each, some have more), Safari open with tabs for Facebook, Wala, Google, Telegram and some kind of video playing? (VTDecoderXPCService) all at the same time and with plenty more RAM to spare.

But even that in itself doesn't necessarily mean that much as your Mac is designed to use up as much available RAM as possible, so if you need more, it will find ways to use RAM in a more streamlined manner so that you can load more apps.

The Memory Pressure graph is a better indicator of whether or not you need more RAM. If it's in the green. the Mac is making the most efficient use of your RAM, and you're fine. If it's yellow, that shows that you have an app that is really RAM hungry and that is using too much RAM and if it's red, then you need more RAM.

Not necessarily, no, it doesn't work that way. You won't know until you try it.

If you boot your Mac from scratch and run nothing, you'll see about 8GB in use.

That doesn't really mean you've permanently used half your memory - the memory schemes on macOS are complicated, there are many levels of memory, cached, wired, active, inactive, paged, and your system will page out data it's not using but wants to keep around.

Obviously, if you want to load 32 Omnispheres each loading 3GB of samples without streaming and that's your typical use case, you probably want to go for a bigger system, but I think you'll find that 16GB is fine for typical uses.

Your memory pressure graph is your best single indicator of memory activity on your machine, so if you're a bit concerned, just go ahead and make typical projects, and check in on this as you go. If your always pushing memory pressure in the red, then perhaps for your uses you should have gone for more RAM, but if you don't see a problem, there generally isn't a problem.

I'm on 16GB too BTW (and have been for ten years) and it's never really help me back from the things I've used my machines to do.

Load your Omnisphere, Keyscape and Serum, and see what happens.

Hope that helps.

Sorry everybody I was on Low power mode I think without this the MacBook is much faster