Creating Overview, takes forever...

Marneknold

Hey Guys.

I am working allot with sound too picture, that means that at get an AAF file that often contains more than a thousand audio files.

im experincing that logic takes forever, when it is "Creating Overview". It happens every time i switch to another app. I am using RX 9 all the time to clean up audio, and every time i transfer a file from logic to RX 9 and then back, it takes sometimes 10-15 sec. for logic to be able yo play back.

Im on the latest logic version, on a brand new fully spec'd 16" mac pro M1 max, monterey... it also happens, if i just switch to Safari and back for instance...

BTW. it also happened on my previous mac, (2019 fully spec'd intel mac)

(please excuse my bad english, im Danish...)

THANKS allot.

Marco

Forgot to mention that.. but no. From external SSD

If it is Ex-FAT formatting, there's your problem because it's a Windows format.

It should be APFS for an SSD and macOS Extended for spinning drives when using Logic.

Reformat ASAP to avoid project corruption. And reformatting erases everything, so move everything over to another non-Windows drive before you erase.

I think the wheel comes. But the drive should be fast right ! It’s a i7 Samsung.

In smaller sessions, it’s not as Big of an issue. So my initial thought was, that it simply can’t handle such a big session (so yes slow disc) but then again, shouldn’t it be able to? It is strictly audio files…

you could try quitting logic, and moving all the files from a project to the internal drive. eject/unplug the external, see how the project runs from the mac drive. will at least tell you if the problem is with the external.

if you do reformat, make sure to copy everything from the drive first!

Ok, so running logic from my internal SSD worked. Thanks allot for that idea Fisherking !

still can't believe that my i7 external SSD drive is that slow... i will no try to format it to APFS.

Hopefully that helps. Are you guys also running your session from external drives ?

• 3 months later...

Also having the same issue. I'm running a Late 2014 iMac(Retina 5k) 4ghz Quad Core Intel Core i7/32gb Ram/AMD Radeon R9(2gb)/3.12 TB Fusion Drive/ 2x Audient asp880/Audient iD44/Recording 14 channels of drums only. Is this just something you have to deal with? I'm also just using the internal drive, and the only thing this computer is used for is tracking. Nothing else is stored unless it's production/recording related. What's causing this? What's the purpose of it? Can it be turned off or disabled? 

Thanks,

JT