Kick samples loses body went put into DAW

chensa

I was attempting to use a really nice fat Kick sample from Cymatics into my DAW.   First I tried the Q-Sampler without any effects.   When I did, it sounded like all the body disappeared and it sounded very thin.  (yes, I played it in the original key)

Then, I tried adding it to a simple audio track... same thing.

I have turned off all the effects on the Master out but I just don't know why it's not sounding the same as the original sample.

Please help. Thanks.

Logic Pro Version 10.6.3 - Catalina

Thanks.

First thing I would make sure of is that it's playing at the same volume/velocity as your preview; basically full volume.

- turn up the Qsampler main volume to 0

and then either

1. Set the velocity of your MIDI notes to maximum

or

2. Turn down the velocity sensitivity of your patch by turning the slider to the right of the Amplitude envelope to minimum

Is it a stereo sample that you’re playing in mono (intentionally or not, check your signal chain)?

It might be phase canceling out by how you describe it losing “body” which to me translates to it’s not just a volume reduction.

Also you mentioned your “DAW”, so just to confirm is it Logic Pro you’re using? If not, check the settings to see what the pan law compensation is and if it’s enabled. If it’s a mono sample that you’re playing in a stereo track, this can effect the sound as well (it would be a volume reduction, but again “body” could mean different things to different people).

On 4/25/2022 at 9:54 PM, RobertAnthony said:

Is it a stereo sample that you’re playing in mono (intentionally or not, check your signal chain)?

It might be phase canceling out by how you describe it losing “body” which to me translates to it’s not just a volume reduction.

Also you mentioned your “DAW”, so just to confirm is it Logic Pro you’re using? If not, check the settings to see what the pan law compensation is and if it’s enabled. If it’s a mono sample that you’re playing in a stereo track, this can effect the sound as well (it would be a volume reduction, but again “body” could mean different things to different people).

Yeah this was my suspicion as well.  There are so many people out there who make "stereo" patches/samples the lazy way (by using a delay as a double) and don't bother to check that they aren't introducing phase issues that could give people some grief further down the track.  

The give away here is when a stereo sample is played back as mono and it loses a lot of its body.

So I've tried other samples and they work just fine.  I'm guessing it's something strange about this particular sample so I'm just going to choose another and stop chasing this problem down. 

I thank everyone that tried to help out.

• 3 weeks later...