Very high CPU usage when Logic is idle

noisyneil
Go to solution Solved by noisyneil,

1 minute ago, analogika said:

Random shot in the dark: Do you guys seeing this issue have any Acustica Audio plugins installed? 

Not I. 

Logic Pro 10.6.3 - 16" Macbook Pro - 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 - 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - UA Apollo 8P

Yes, I do - and I’ve spent considerable time with their support team to find out if their plugs are the problem. They are CPU intensive, to be sure, but they checked out, to the best of my knowledge.

And btw, I did not intend to hijack this thread. I just wanted to give the author some feedback. 

24 minutes ago, Drefue said:

Yes, I do - and I’ve spent considerable time with their support team to find out if their plugs are the problem. They are CPU intensive, to be sure, but they checked out, to the best of my knowledge.

And btw, I did not intend to hijack this thread. I just wanted to give the author some feedback. 

My digital studio tech guru and software mentor specifically pointed out the nightmare he had dealing with that company and their software, their less than useless lists of software that need to be constantly cross-referenced to figure out whether they are supported, updated, or will cause weird voodoo like CPU spikes and other odd conflicts. 

He advised me to avoid them at all costs. 

I see now that you already tried a minimal re-install with no third-party plugins. 

Ah well. 

5 hours ago, Drefue said:

Like I said, it’s not the plugs. That would be an easy fix. 

If it's not the plugs, and Logic doesn't cause that to that many people apparently, perhaps its the hardware?

LogicPro 10.7.4, MainStage 3.6,
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6, MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.16.1,
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII, Several vintage gear
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, Arturia, etc..., PC, iPadPro 5th gen 12.9”(Duet D., V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL),

• 2 months later...

I currently have the exact same problem. Out of the blue, even simple sessions with one stereo track and 5-6 plugins (that I've been using without any problems up until now) triggers system overload on a 1024 buffer. That happens after 30 minutes of running with no apparent issues.

If there are any news, I'd be glad for any advice I can get. 

• Solution

Ok an update from me:

All of this went away the second I cleaned my fans. They we caked, and I mean caked in dust. Zoom in and have a look at that! 

image.thumb.jpeg.2f2d6a962daeb2ce008edccbac9b3235.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Logic Pro 10.6.3 - 16" Macbook Pro - 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 - 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - UA Apollo 8P

1 hour ago, noisyneil said:

Ok an update from me:

All of this went away the second I cleaned my fans. They we caked, and I mean caked in dust. Zoom in and have a look at that! 

image.thumb.jpeg.2f2d6a962daeb2ce008edccbac9b3235.jpeg

I suspected that to be the issue with my MacBook as well, I ordered a P5-Screwdriver yesterday haha. Can't wait to get this resolved. Thanks a lot for confirming! Let's finally get back to making music. 

I used to clean the fans on my old MBP roughly once a year... I could tell when they needed doing, as the machine generally was hotter with less work, and the fans came on quicker and louder etc...

Thankfully, all chores which seem somewhat redundant as my new MBP barely needs any fan cooling at all (I've never ever heard them come on yet.)

• Like 1

mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio | Legacy Logic Project Conversion | Logic 10.7.4, MBP 16" M1pro

I've now got a reminder in my phone set for every 3 months to run the dyson over the ports. Hopefully that'll suffice but I am kinda wishing I'd held out for an M1 so this wouldn't be an issue at all. Ah well...

• Like 1

I used this Macs Fan Control utility (or something similar, IIRC )to boost the fans speed during about two minutes on my iMac and to look at the dust coming out of the machine. Worked very well. Needed to clean my desk afterward so 🙃. Haven’t the need to run it again since!

Logic Pro 10.6.3, MacOs Catalina 10.15.7, 2012 iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7, 1TB HD W/ Fusion drive, 8 GB ram, MacBook Pro Early 2015 (Retina, 13-inch) Big Sur 11.6.8, Logic 10.7.4, Behringer X-Touch, Focusrite Saffire Le w/ thunderbolt adapter - > firewire 800/400 cable, Korg nanokontrol2, Korg MicroKey 27, Alesis VI61

19 minutes ago, stratquebec said:

I used this Macs Fan Control utility (or something similar, IIRC )to boost the fans speed during about two minutes on my iMac and to look at the dust coming out of the machine. Worked very well. Needed to clean my desk afterward so 🙃. Haven’t the need to run it again since!

I've never seen dust come *out* of my machine when the fans are on max rpm. Lucky you, I guess!

11 minutes ago, noisyneil said:

I've never seen dust come *out* of my machine when the fans are on max rpm. Lucky you, I guess!

Yep, I remember very well that I saw it, briefly but I did. The utility in question was smcFanControl :this one. Just ran it again on my old 2006 iMac and saw no dust coming out this time. But anyway, it could be a good idea to run it say, once a month, just as a good maintenance habit.

Edited by stratquebec

Logic Pro 10.6.3, MacOs Catalina 10.15.7, 2012 iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7, 1TB HD W/ Fusion drive, 8 GB ram, MacBook Pro Early 2015 (Retina, 13-inch) Big Sur 11.6.8, Logic 10.7.4, Behringer X-Touch, Focusrite Saffire Le w/ thunderbolt adapter - > firewire 800/400 cable, Korg nanokontrol2, Korg MicroKey 27, Alesis VI61

11 minutes ago, stratquebec said:

The utility in question was smcFanControl

I used that for the life of my old machine, and on previous machines too. I typically ran the fans higher than default - default was usually 2000rpm, I used to crank that to 2500, or even 3000 if the ambient temperature was significantly warm, or if I was doing work that worked the processor a bit more than usual.

And I would sometimes crank it to max (~6000rpm) to cool things down (or if I was rendering video, or doing DAW work, the fans would ramp up that high anyway). Never got any dust out doing that - I always had to go in, disassemble the fans and pull it out in clumps...(!)

I can't tell you how happy I am that my current machine is cool and silent *all* the time... 🥰

Edited by des99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio | Legacy Logic Project Conversion | Logic 10.7.4, MBP 16" M1pro

16 hours ago, stratquebec said:

If the fan is already pushing out a cloud of dust when you force it, imagine how much must still be in there! 

I can chime in with my late 2016 15" MacBook Pro, which I last had cleaned about three years ago. Recently opened it and had a go at it with a compressor - blew out three years' worth of studio dust, stage pyro and cat hair. 

It's now running almost 10°C cooler at all times, fans are MUCH less annoying (they're not only running lower, but also making less noise). 

Edited by analogika
  • Like 3