Piano Roll MIDI Notes "Repeat Regions/Cells/Events" (with CMD+R) Not Behaving The Same As It Does In Arrangement View With Regions

damusicman29

Pretty much what the title says. When I'm in the Piano Roll, I place a note like normal (say an eighth note) with either holding CMD down and drawing it in, or using one of the other methods: like brush, and/or pencil tool, and then I'll place another note next to it, making sure these notes don't touch. This is pretty normal. 

Now, here comes the annoying part:

When I select just one of those (doesn't matter which one; could be any note really) and I do the "Repeat Regions/Cells/Events" command, it does indeed repeat the note, but instead of repeating it to the next beat, it repeats it to the next bar, every single time. It does not, however, do this in arrangement view. 

I've already checked my snap settings in both the Piano Roll Window as well as the Arrangement View. I've also checked the MIDI Defaults tab (the one on the far left upper corner) to make sure quantize or something weird wasn't on. I've already tried going back and forth from Snap: Smart to Snap: Division to Snap: 1/16, etc. I've already tried going back and forth from "Set Notes to Absolute Value, Relative Value, etc." I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Logic has NEVER done this before and it just magically started doing it. 

I put a gif in the attachment. At the start of the gif, it's me showing how it works like normal if I'm just repeating two notes at the proper interval (that works great), but once I draw in one note, select it, and then try to repeat, notice how it jumps by bar instead of by one beat (or w/e that subdivision is).

Any ideas? I'm all ears! 

Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 2:24 AM, damusicman29 said:

notice how it jumps by bar instead of by one beat (or w/e that subdivision is).

Actually on your animation we see it jump by one beat, not one bar (from 1 2 to 1 3 and 1 4 which means from beat 2 to beat 3 and 4, all inside bar 1). 

Note that you can use the Time Handles to specify which section you want to repeat (similar to how you can use the Marquee tool in the Tracks area to specify the section you want to repeat).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Actually on your animation we see it jump by one beat, not one bar (from 1 2 to 1 3 and 1 4 which means from beat 2 to beat 3 and 4, all inside bar 1). 

Note that you can use the Time Handles to specify which section you want to repeat (similar to how you can use the Marquee tool in the Tracks area to specify the section you want to repeat).

Ah yes, you're right, sorry about that. However, before this issue, I was able to get it to repeat how I wanted it to (like I tried to do in the video) regardless of the divison. If I extend or contract the divison (grid), it does the same thing as shown above. And yes I know about the time handles, but I never had to use those before and I don't prefer it honestly. Is there maybe a setting I'm missing?

35 minutes ago, damusicman29 said:

However, before this issue, I was able to get it to repeat how I wanted it to (like I tried to do in the video) regardless of the divison. If I extend or contract the divison (grid), it does the same thing as shown above. And yes I know about the time handles, but I never had to use those before and I don't prefer it honestly. Is there maybe a setting I'm missing?

No, there are no settings that affect this behavior, at least not that I'm aware of. 

21 hours ago, damusicman29 said:

Okay, I must've done something funky then that is causing this. I'll report back with my findings! 

No, I don't believe you have, and the behavior you're describing is the expected behavior. The behavior you want is the odd one, is it possible that you had used the time handles before? Because sometimes if you use the Time handles, then that affects the Repeat behavior, even after you've disabled the Time Handles and are no longer using them. 

28 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

No, I don't believe you have, and the behavior you're describing is the expected behavior. The behavior you want is the odd one, is it possible that you had used the time handles before? Because sometimes if you use the Time handles, then that affects the Repeat behavior, even after you've disabled the Time Handles and are no longer using them. 

Perhaps that's the case; that the repeat behavior behaved the same for so long, even after the time handles. It's strange to me since I'm so used to just CMD+R-ing everything and it repeating by the most recent divison I drew in the region. For example, when I penciled in two eighth notes, then did CMD+R, it would only repeat an eighth note (which is what I want), but now it seems "locked" so-to-speak, as if it's just constantly ignoring the note divisions I pencil in and just always placing it in the next bar (or I should say, skipping divisons, next beat, instead of doing like a half beat, quarter beat, eighth beat, etc.)

Edited by damusicman29

2 minutes ago, damusicman29 said:

now it seems "locked" so-to-speak, as if it's just constantly ignoring the note divisions I pencil in and just always placing it in the next bar (or I should say, skipping divisons, next beat, instead of doing like a half beat, quarter beat, eighth beat, etc.)

You seem to confuse bars and beats, and indeed the behavior you're describing is how it works (and has always worked) but with bars, not beats. Meaning it does repeat a half bar, a quarter bar, or a whole bar, or two whole bars etc. 

But the minimum unit it will repeat is one beat. 

So basically, if your selection is less that one beat long, the repeat is on the beat. 

If the selection is less that two beats long, the repeat is every two beats. 

If the selection is less that one bar, the repeat is every bars. 

If the selection is less than two bars, the repeat is every two bars. 

And so on. 

27 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

You seem to confuse bars and beats, and indeed the behavior you're describing is how it works (and has always worked) but with bars, not beats. Meaning it does repeat a half bar, a quarter bar, or a whole bar, or two whole bars etc. 

But the minimum unit it will repeat is one beat. 

So basically, if your selection is less that one beat long, the repeat is on the beat. 

If the selection is less that two beats long, the repeat is every two beats. 

If the selection is less that one bar, the repeat is every bars. 

If the selection is less than two bars, the repeat is every two bars. 

And so on. 

Alrighty so then this must be my divison settings; I'll look into it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

I suppose it could be. What is your project tempo set to? And when you turn on the Metronome, does it play beats as expected?

120BPM. And yeah it plays the beats just fine. I’m recalling now that I recently set new shortcut keys for changing the Division grid size. I’m wondering if that’s causing it, but when I am cycling through all the grid divisions, same behavior. Hmmm 🤔

1 minute ago, damusicman29 said:

I’m recalling now that I recently set new shortcut keys for changing the Division grid size. I’m wondering if that’s causing it, but when I am cycling through all the grid divisions, same behavior. Hmmm 🤔

No, the division setting itself does not affect the behavior. I was just thinking that maybe you were working at the wrong tempo before and that perhaps what you considered musically as 8th notes were really beats on the grid. Just trying to guess what could have happened that could explain what you're describing. 

8 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

No, the division setting itself does not affect the behavior. I was just thinking that maybe you were working at the wrong tempo before and that perhaps what you considered musically as 8th notes were really beats on the grid. Just trying to guess what could have happened that could explain what you're describing. 

Hmm, okay, looking into this more. Lemme know what you think of this. So the lighter grey bar is the division (which I can resize with those shortcut keys I was telling you about), and the dark grey bar (with the numbers) are the beats with pre-defined subdivisions (i.e. 1, 12, 13, 14, 2, 22, etc.). I'm wondering if it's the dark grey bar because it doesn't seem to change at all; it's like locked in, though I'm realizing it SHOULD be locked in right? Since it's subdividing every beat by 4? Just trying to see what's up lol.

Also, I included a last image of me pressing CMD+R. How come it won't repeat the in betweens like it used to? It just skips like that. There's clearly space to repeat in between but it doesn't.

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 10.45.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 10.45.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 10.48.31 AM.png

Edited by damusicman29

3 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I believe you're still confusing bars and beats? 

1 is bar 1 beat 1

1 2 is bar 1 beat 2

1 3 is bar 1 beat 3

1 4 is bar 1 beat 4

2 is bar 2 beat 1

2 2 is bar 2 beat 2

etc...

I'm not confusing how musical subdivisions work in LPX. I see that and I understand. What I'm trying to convey is that BEFORE this issue, when I used a simple CMD+R, it would repeat MIDI notes INSIDE of those grid spaces BETWEEN the beats regardless of what division was set. All I had to do was draw the note I wanted and then hit "repeat" and it would repeat a note hugging up against the previous note (whether that was an eighth or a sixteenth). I can't make it anymore clear than that. Haha. Sorry to be a pill about it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, damusicman29 said:

I'm not confusing how musical subdivisions work in LPX. I see that and I understand. What I'm trying to convey is that BEFORE this issue, when I used a simple CMD+R, it would repeat MIDI notes INSIDE of those grid spaces BETWEEN the beats regardless of what division was set. All I had to do was draw the note I wanted and then hit "repeat" and it would repeat a note hugging up against the previous note (whether that was an eighth or a sixteenth). I can't make it anymore clear than that. Haha. Sorry to be a pill about it. 

Ok I understand what you're saying now. My apologies if I misunderstood what you said earlier. I can't say that I remember that "before" behavior you're describing. although you're right in that that is how the repeat function behaves with regions in the Tracks area. 

10 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Ok I understand what you're saying now. My apologies if I misunderstood what you said earlier. I can't say that I remember that "before" behavior you're describing. although you're right in that that is how the repeat function behaves with regions in the Tracks area. 

Yeah it's definitely interesting behavior to me. I'm not sure if this is something that happened after an update or if I was just the rare unicorn here so-to-speak. I'll keep digging...