Best solution for using logic resources(Loops, templates etc) off ext drive

pu55yeater

I was hoping to learn how users here work with logic and external drives.

Over the years of reading threads here I decided to use two external hard drives,

-one for none active sessions, sample libraries etc, a normal HD

-one for sessions., an SSD (fast baby)

Whenever I start a session I would store it on the SSD, then all the samples audio files etc would be on the 4TB HD 

Both these drives get cloned frequently and I just relocated the Apple-Garage band audio samples etc to the 4TB HD.

Problem? I still have a music folder on my MacBook Pro internal drive which contains my ESX library, channel strip settings etc etc

So my questions is if I could move and use that MUSIC folder in my user directory to my ext (4TB HD) as well or not.

Can anyone advise with this ?

P.S. its for a MacBook Pro i7, 32GB Ram/1TB  2016 running Catalina

Edited by pu55yeater

Well, it's...complicated.

In ~Music, there are two folders of interest, Logic (which is the default folder for Projects) and Audio Music Apps (which in turn contains the folders Sampler Instruments, Project Templates, Plug-In Settings, the whole ordeal, but also other stuff, like your iTunes library)

I have replaced the Logic folder with an Alias named Logic which points to my actual Projects folder on another disk.

I have also successfully placed an Alias into Sampler Instruments, pointing to a folder on another drive, giving me access to local and external sampler instruments.

It follows that you should be able to move the folders in AMA elsewhere and replace them with identically named Aliases pointing to the moved folders.

Either that, or boldly move the entire AMA folder and put its Alias there instead.

Try and report.

Edited by fuzzfilth

2 hours ago, fuzzfilth said:

Well, it's...complicated.

Either that, or boldly move the entire AMA folder and put its Alias there instead.

Try and report.

Thanks for the prompt reply, what did you mean by AMA? the whole music folder?

Im on catalina and a few people claim you need to use Symlinks to make aliases work with an app., I should of m mentioned it was the reason I am asking 

I'm still on Mojave, as per my signature. Catalina takes away 32bit apps that I need daily and gives me nothing. That's not a relationship I want to endure.

That's why I said try it. Takes about 20 seconds and you know whether it works or not.

Edited by fuzzfilth

1 minute ago, fuzzfilth said:

I'm still on Mojave, as per my signature. Catalina takes away 32bit apps that I need daily and gives me nothing. That's not a relationship I want to endure.

That's why I said try it. Takes about 20 seconds and you know whether it works or not.

yeah I agree with you but went to Catalina, hmm..ill be back in a while, I am copying over 65GB of logic stuff,.later (thanks!)

2 hours ago, fuzzfilth said:

65Gb of Plugin-Settings and EXS instruments ? 🤔

Why not test with a dozen Channel Strip Settings and see if it works ?

The alias was unstable, it would loose connection, maybe a catalina thing

so I fallowed instructions in this video 

and everything works, I managed to create links to folders inside my USER library as well as sharing library.,  

Yes, Atlas, there certainly is.  And when you use it, it will create an alias which points to the new location.  I very quickly used this feature because the built-in SSD on my MacBook Pro is comparatively small and I need to use the space for other purposes.

P.S.:  If you find that this menu-option is grayed out, you can hover on it to see it tell you that you must be an Administrator to move the library: I don't know why it doesn't just prompt you for an admin password and I have already suggested to Apple that it should.  (I almost always run as a non-Administrator user and strongly recommend that everyone should do the same ... the "principle of least privilege.")

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 2:15 PM, pu55yeater said:

Over the years of reading threads here I decided to use two external hard drives,

-one for none active sessions, sample libraries etc, a normal HD

-one for sessions., an SSD (fast baby)

If the only reason you're doing this is because you've read that you should be doing it, I would reconsider the decision. 

Unless there's a specific reason because that's not working for you, the best way to deal with this today with a modern Mac is to leave your sample libraries on your system drive, and to put your projects wherever is practical for your organisation: system drive or another drive. 

But just moving everything onto different drives because you believe it will improve your performance is a thing of the past. Most of the data is loaded into RAM when you open your project, so it doesn't matter much where the data is actually saved on your hard drives. 

Every situation is unique obviously. If your system drive is an old HDD 7200rpm drive and your external is a blazing fast SSD then having a project saved on that SSD means the project will load faster when you open it, if that matters to you (it won't be any faster while you're working on it though, since you're working on the RAM copy, no the HD copy).