Performance Meter - thread (core) processes

songseeds

Okay, I'm not someone who knows the innermost workings of a computer (so this may not even be possible).

How many of you have had a session stop because ONE damned thread is maxing out, while a bunch of others have lots of room to go?  I know it happens to me.

If possible, processing should distribute the load so if one thread/core is getting maxed it, part of the load of that process could be assigned to one of the ones that isn't doing much. 

IF it's nice but not possible, how about this:

Click and hold on the offending thread/core in the Performance Meter and have a little popup telling you exactly WHAT the offending process (ie plugin name) is so you don't have to guess.  

• Like 2

Yes.  Good to know and I’m aware of that clue.  Still doesn’t completely solve the issue. I’ve had plenty of thread overloads with an empty audio track selected and the queue at 1024. Just thinking it would be great to not have to go on a fishing expedition trying to find the problem.  

19 minutes ago, songseeds said:

I’ve had plenty of thread overloads with an empty audio track selected and the queue at 1024.

In case you didn't know already, make sure that no input is selected at the top of that track's channel strip. 

14 hours ago, songseeds said:

Click and hold on the offending thread/core in the Performance Meter and have a little popup telling you exactly WHAT the offending process (ie plugin name) is so you don't have to guess.  

That would be a nice feature indeed. 

• Like 1