Arrangement Track Disappearing

Hi chaps.

Since upgrading to 10.7.4 the arrangement track keeps disappearing for no obvious reason.

I have it set up so that I can see the arrangement sections (verse, chorus, instrumental etc), but after editing a track, bass for example, I find I have to click the global tracks button again just to bring my arrangement track back again.

This didn't happen under the previous version of Logic so I'm wondering if there is a bug or something that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Bloated Midget

No. The G wasn't pressed unintentionally, and I'm not locking any screensets. It's quite bizarre. Across the top within my arrangement track I have the usual intro/verse/chorus etc, and they are fine. But the moment I go into edit mode to change a note or beat and then go back the arrangement track will have just disappeared so I have to click global tracks again. This happens every time I use Logic.

Hi

Thanks for your response.

I've added some screenshots that will hopefully clarify anything.

The first shot shows my Logic window before I do any editing (with the the arrangement track still visible).

The second was taken after I did a small amount of editing on one of the tracks and then went back to the main screen. This time the arrangement track had disappeared again.

Thanks in advance.

image.png

image.png

On 5/22/2022 at 12:24 PM, Little Fat Bloke said:

I did a small amount of editing on one of the tracks

So you did that in the Audio Track Editor? In a different screen set? What exactly do you mean by "went back to the main screen"?

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 12:24 PM, Little Fat Bloke said:

The second was taken after I did a small amount of editing on one of the tracks and then went back to the main screen.

Note that on your second screenshot the Arrangement track is still displayed, it's just thinner. We would need to have more details as to your workflow: what menu did you choose or key did you press exactly to edit your track and to go back to the main window? 

It might be that I'm doing something very wrong (I'm in my mid-60's and not very tech-aware).

I almost exclusively use the piano roll editor for all things midi. I have a preference to always seeing the keyboard to my left so that I can carry out detailed work. Logic's Drummer is nearly always changed to midi, as well.

I am also using EZDrummer 3, if that helps? As a side issue, although it may have some bearing on this, sometimes when I'm working on EZDrummer and I close Logic down I find my project has disappeared but EZDrummer remains - it can be extremely frustrating.

8 minutes ago, Little Fat Bloke said:

sometimes when I'm working on EZDrummer and I close Logic down I find my project has disappeared but EZDrummer remains - it can be extremely frustrating.

That happens if you close your main window (are you pressing Command-W or choosing something in a menu?) but leave the EZDrummer window open, then when you close the EZDrummer window, Logic prompts you to save and you then save your project in that state: the main window closed, but the EZDrummer window open. To avoid this, when you need to close your project, choose File > Close Project. You can then save your project with the main window open, and it will be recalled that way. 

You're still not telling us how exactly you're working on the track then going back to the main window. I'm not sure if you're closing the main window and reopening a new one for example? 

Here's the workflow I recommend: 

Always keep your main window open. You can edit your MIDI regions in the Piano Roll editor at the bottom of the main window (press P or double-click the MIDI region to open it and close it). That way the Arrangement track will always be displayed the same way. 

Thanks for your responses.

Apologies if I'm not explaining things adequately. 

I work in Logic's main window (as in the screenshot) mostly, and for midi editing I just double-click the track I'm working on and that gives me access to the piano roll editor. I don't open any other windows, if that is what you mean.

I use the shortcut Command-W to close my projects when finished.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Little Fat Bloke said:

for midi editing I just double-click the track I'm working on and that gives me access to the piano roll editor. I don't open any other windows, if that is what you mean.

Ok so then it should not change the size of your Arrangement track, I'm not sure why you're seeing this. 

14 minutes ago, Little Fat Bloke said:

I use the shortcut Command-W to close my projects when finished.

Yes, that's why you're seeing only the Drum Kit Designer window when you reopen your project. Command-W should be used to close a single window. To close your project, use Option-Command-W that way if you have multiple windows opened and save your project at that point, you'll see the multiple windows open again when you reopen your project. 

I was just able to reproduce the Arrangement global track being smaller after opening and closing the Piano Roll. That's a bug that happens when the Piano Roll is so tall that it's covering part of your global track. 

The workaround is to press G twice to close and reopen normal size global tracks.