Any way to have a MIDI region on one track be a master to a MIDI region on another track?

bhuether

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

This would be sooooo useful.  I often have some melody on a given track. Then I double that melody on other tracks.  Depending on that melody I often then have a counter melody on other tracks as accompaniment.  It is so time consuming to change my main melody and countermelody, and then go through all other tracks to propagate the changes.

That is why I was wondering, is there a way to set up master - slave regions?

If not, I think implementing that would be such a major feature, that Logic would have to have a new major release. Like Logic 11.

4 hours ago, bhuether said:

If not, I think implementing that would be such a major feature, that Logic would have to have a new major release. Like Logic 11.

Aliases have been part of Logic since the first version IIRC

MacBook Pro 16'' 2019, 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 / macOS Monterey 12.3.1 / Logic 10.7.4

32 minutes ago, bhuether said:

Like alias the notes, but not automation, etc.

Best way to do this would be to have separate regions, one containing only the note events (and possibly MIDI controller messages) and one containing only the region automation (would be best to keep them on separate tracks using the same channel strip). You could then alias only the region containing the note events.

• Like 2

MacBook Pro 16'' 2019, 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 / macOS Monterey 12.3.1 / Logic 10.7.4

Ok, that sounds great. So I take it I can have overlapping MIDI regions on one track, or do you suggest one track with note data, then track below it with automation?

Been using Logic for a couple years. Starting to like its approach.  

• Like 1

Both approaches work (overlapping regions, or having them on separate tracks which use the same channel strip). I suggest the latter for better visibility though.