External mix bus controller

cinningbao

I could probably title this a bit better..

I cannot for the life of me figure out what key words to search for to find out how to setup my nanokontrol to be a fader bank. I just want to use 6-7 of the faders on the nk to ride the busses in the mix, but Logic really wants to only have the 'Selected Track' style parameter control.

what do I do?

I can't understand why this is happening either.. I have one fader on the nk assigned to a Channel Strip volume, and it seems to be affecting the MIDI button in the mixer panel..

Can anyone shed any light on this?  I suspect it's corruption in the project but I need to check with this community to be sure

thanks

I'm not sure what you meant David, how am I supposed to associate an external fader with an internal object without selecting the target internal object?

..but I think I found the solution by assigning the faders to ChannelStrip -> Auxillary and then specifying the bus in the value field.

774446857_Screenshot2022-05-26at15_15_24.jpg.c6c692e00bfe0268a5b253064c7f225f.jpg

This at least maintains the assignment for the project.  I can see why mix engineers have a load of busses assigned at the end of the available selection, so when you add aux channels you don't have to move-up all your assignments.. i think made sense in the context of this post.

I still don't know why the MIDI button was turning on and off when I moved a fader assigned to Volume.. Sometimes Logic is a complete mystery..

26 minutes ago, cinningbao said:

I still don't know why the MIDI button was turning on and off when I moved a fader assigned to Volume.. Sometimes Logic is a complete mystery..

On your video it looks like you have two assignments created for the key command "Show/Hide MIDI Instruments". You should delete those assignments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JakobP said:

On your video it looks like you have two assignments created for the key command "Show/Hide MIDI Instruments". You should delete those assignments.

Oh yes! How did I miss that? Thanks Jakob.  Deleting that one deleted a few more erroneous "Show/Hide"s  as well.. might explain some other strangeness I was experiencing.

5 hours ago, cinningbao said:

I'm not sure what you meant David, how am I supposed to associate an external fader with an internal object without selecting the target internal object?

There's no need to select a channel strip in order to assign a controller fader or know to a parameter on that channel strip. Just click the fader or knob on that channel strip in the Mixer (that will not select the channel strip) and then press Command-L to learn and move your controller fader. 

When you assign a controller that way to a fader or knob on an unselected channel strip in Logic Pro, that assignment will be specific to that channel strip, independently of what track/channel strip you select in Logic Pro.