Most useful Logic shortcuts

Thanks for the advice. Apple has got a few pages of shortcuts. Functions are more often than not in fact represented in shortcuts. Optimum workflows have got a lot in common. My request was if someone has got a clean and thought through list of shortcuts which are most often used. It is fine if you or other colleagues don't have one, my question is from those who do. There are many options by web browsing and importantly I can make one myself, but I thought to ask Logic members first. Hope that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Shahram Omidvar said:

Thanks for the advice. Apple has got a few pages of shortcuts. Functions are more often than not in fact represented in shortcuts. Optimum workflows have got a lot in common. My request was if someone has got a clean and thought through list of shortcuts which are most often used. It is fine if you or other colleagues don't have one, my question is from those who do. There are many options by web browsing and importantly I can make one myself, but I thought to ask Logic members first. Hope that makes sense.

I misunderstood your original post but I believe I understand now. But to be sure can you give me an example?

I’m assuming you mean things like ‘Split at Playhead’? and other shortcuts that are used frequently?

if so, one way I discovered useful shortcuts I had not known was to open the keystroke menu and read through them. 

If I’m completely off topic with what you are asking for ignore my ramblings. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zipfunk said:

I misunderstood your original post but I believe I understand now. But to be sure can you give me an example?

I’m assuming you mean things like ‘Split at Playhead’? and other shortcuts that are used frequently?

if so, one way I discovered useful shortcuts I had not known was to open the keystroke menu and read through them. 

If I’m completely off topic with what you are asking for ignore my ramblings. 

You are clearly trying to help me and I thank you for that. Apple has got the key commands as per this link: https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcp02bf31b6/mac

Attached is also an option for a similar purpose in a much more condensed form. What I am looking for is something in between but coming from experiences to make the use of the software and workflow easier. It is clear that different users may have respective requirements but I am referring to what can be categorised as common.

image.thumb.png.e5d9f8c313d83463720b3f014cce70ba.png

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Shahram Omidvar said:

What I am looking for is something in between but coming from experiences to make the use of the software and workflow easier. It is clear that different users may have respective requirements but I am referring to what can be categorized as common.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll try to find some time to see if I can do something like that. 

Like others, I'm not sure how these are useful without knowing the actual workflow in which they are useful, but here goes, minus the obvious ones (Play, Record, Cycle, Metronome, etc.):
    Capture as Recording and Play
    Play from Left Window Edge
    Play from Selection
    Go to Selection Start  
    Go to Selection End
    Recall Screenset 1-99
    Open Environment…    😛
    Open in External Sample Editor 
    Enable/Disable Groups
    Select Previous Track
    Select Next Track
    Catch Playhead Position    
    Show/Hide Inspector
    New Track with Duplicate Settings
    New Track with Same Channel Strip/Instrument
    Select All Following
    Select All Following of Same Track/Pitch
    Join Regions/Notes
    Split Regions/Events at Playhead Position
    Transpose Region/Event +1 Semitone or Nudge Automation up 1 Step 
    Transpose Region/Event -1 Semitone or Nudge Automation down 1 Step 
    Move Region/Event to Playhead Position (Pickup Clock)
    Set Region/Event/Marquee Start to Playhead Position 
    Set Region/Event/Marquee End to Playhead Position    
    Nudge Region/Event Position Right by Tick
    Nudge Region/Event Position Left by Tick
    Nudge Region/Event Position Right by SMPTE Frame
    Nudge Region/Event Position Left by SMPTE Frame
    Nudge Region/Event Position Right by 1/2 SMPTE Frame
    Nudge Region/Event Position Left by 1/2 SMPTE Frame  
    Mute Notes/Regions/Cells/Folders On/Off
    Shuffle Left
    Shuffle Right
    Bounce…
    Create 2 Track Automation Points at Region Borders
    Create Folder Stack
    Create Summing Stack
    Bounce Regions/Cells in Place
    Bounce Tracks in Place   
    Drum Replacement/Doubling
    Hide/Show Selected Track(s)
    Cut Section Between Locators (Global)
    Separate MIDI Region by Note Pitch
    Convert Regions to New Audio Files…
    Normalize Region/Cell Gain…
    Trim Region End to Next Region
    Trim Region Start to Previous Region    
    Drag Mode: Overlap
    Drag Mode: No Overlap
    Drag Mode: Shuffle L
    Drag Mode: Shuffle R
    Copy Value to All Following Events 
    Shift selected Zone(s)/Group(s) Left (Zones incl. Root Key)
    Shift selected Zone(s)/Group(s) Right (Zones incl. Root Key)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 6:40 AM, Shahram Omidvar said:

Can I request a clean list of the most frequent (not all!) used shortcuts for the above version of Logic please. I want to print it and put it on the wall next to my iMac screen.

There are so many sneaky cool ones that get half forgotten because I don’t use them in my workflow enough. 
But, for me, I would recommend starting with - C (cycle range on/off) A (automation view) R (record) and ctl M (mute - which I’ve changed to just M). CMD , gets you into your global preferences to fiddle around with your audio buffering etc. CMD b to bounce and CMD q to turn off Logic and go to sleep. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martin7 said:

There are so many sneaky cool ones that get half forgotten because I don’t use them in my workflow enough.

That’s true. It comes to how consistent we use the shortcuts to make our work flow more efficient. My own experience is that spending more time to set up things and the main themes right at the beginning is the key to reducing the legwork and as for the shortcuts best is to have some natural connection to their functions so that you don’t have to memories things (for instance “command + c” is a good and “command + v” is a bad example in this context)

47 minutes ago, Shahram Omidvar said:

That’s true. It comes to how consistent we use the shortcuts to make our work flow more efficient. My own experience is that spending more time to set up things and the main themes right at the beginning is the key to reducing the legwork and as for the shortcuts best is to have some natural connection to their functions so that you don’t have to memories things (for instance “command + c” is a good and “command + v” is a bad example in this context)

Indeed.  I try to use that mnemonic problem to make it so ridiculous it becomes easy to remember for cool but not often used commands.  For example - V (show/hides plugs) I use a lot, so Ive assigned all the modifier keys + V (⌃⌥⌘V) to Remove all Bypassed Plugins.  A profligate use of modifier keys but it means my old sticky brain has an easier/quicker journey to make to a great command I don't use a lot . 

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 6:40 AM, Shahram Omidvar said:

Can I request a clean list of the most frequent (not all!) used shortcuts for the above version of Logic please. I want to print it and put it on the wall next to my iMac screen.

Am I right in thinking that you are looking for a "greatest hits/top 20" kind of list? Ones that people use day in day out?

10 hours ago, shamrockrover said:

Am I right in thinking that you are looking for a "greatest hits/top 20" kind of list? Ones that people use day in day out?

Not really. I was referring to most frequent command shortcuts available which could be accessed using the keys or combination of keys on computer keyboard. @David Nahmani provided a good condensed list in response. 

25 years ago, someone gave me the tip to print out all keycommands (in the Key Commands window: Copy Keycommands to Clipboard -> Paste into text editor) and just put that next to the toilet.

Not to memorise any of them or their assignments but just to see what kind of functions are available and think about what those functions could be used for and then think about which ones to incorporate into my workflow. Or adjust my workflow according to the functions available.

Best tip I ever got.

It involves taking charge yourself though and perhaps even changing some old habits.

Luckily I didn't have to change habits as I was doing this when I started using Logic from scratch without any preconceptions.

Edited by wonshu
  • Like 1

There are indeed many available key commands which don’t have their menu commands equivalent. That demonstrates how Logic is a very deep software that goes far beyond what it looks like. I would guess that there are menu commands that don’t have key commands equivalents (?)…

OTOH some of key commands aren’t that obvious to understand what they actually do or where/when to use them. On top of that, I’ve read here that few aren’t working. So it makes for the naive user I am confused and unsure how to decipher if a key command isn’t working or if I’m just using it inappropriately… Not to mention that sometimes (rather not often though) the key commands assignments are changing with new Logic versions.

I personally think that learning all the available key commands is very time consuming and most likely not rewarding enough to justify such an endeavour if your primary intent while using Logic is to make/produce music.

Nevertheless, if a task in Logic is to be (often) repeated, it is a must to find out the related key command (key command combination) to achieve the sought result. Investing time in learning to use them naturally will definitely prove to ease tremendously your workflow and somehow also mold same over time. In short the more you use key commands in your workflow the more same becomes efficient.

My 2 cents…

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Shahram Omidvar said:

I don’t understand why it is being attended to any more. 

Forums are made for the attendees to read and/or post. That is a place to voice/exchange views/opinions which could eventually enlighten others.

You will probably encounter topics which last reply is many years old and then someone will post something.

There was no intention on my part to hijack this topic you initiated. Just wanted to voice my opinion...

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes it's all good: sometimes someone asks a question and that triggers a discussion that goes beyond the intention of the original poster, that's what is great about forum discussions, and where we all end up gaining a lot of knowledge. 😄 

Indeed 🙂 It was me who restarted the thread. I haven't been here for a while and was just going through the "Tips and Tricks" to see if anything of interest came up.

Just from the wording of the original question I thought you were looking for a "best of" or a greatest hits type list,( Most frequent, I think was the term used) which I would have been curious about, just to see if there were ones I was missing out on that are frequently used by other members. 

No intention on my part to cause upset to anybody, just being curious I guess 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, kingminotaur said:

Is there such a thing as "copy marquee selection". Great for covering up mistakes!

Yes, you can use Command-C and Command-V with the Marquee selection, I do it all the time to replace a mistake in a section with a piece from another section without the mistake. 

1. Marquee select,
  2. Command-C,
  3. Marquee click where you want to paste,
  4. Command-V.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, NoPro said:

Great thanks David ! I’m really trying  and experimenting more with key commands now.  Too much clicking otherwise ….

Definitely, key commands are a great workflow speed enhancer! It's surprising how much time we tend to waste trying to point at things with mice, trackpads or other input devices when some of the functionalities are available right under our fingertips. 

• Like 2