Customize Control Bar options greyed out.

Cappy
Go to solution Solved by Cappy,

For some reason many of the options in the transport area of “customize control bar and display” are now greyed out. I cannot select capture recording (although I discovered that shift R still captures regardless of play head moving when using a midi keyboard, pretty cool). I feel like I had this problem years ago but can’t remember the fix. I miss having the additional record button with the circle around it for this function. Any help appreciated. 

• Solution

Thanks for the reply. I too have a nektar keyboard (panorama). What ended up working seems like a total glitch. I went to preferences > advanced and disabled and immediately enabled “show advanced tools”. Now all of the transport functions under “customize control bar and display” are totally selectable. I ended up updating to the most current version of logic which required going from Catalina to Monterey (it needs at least Big Sur). The new wording for show advanced tools is “enable complete features”. Hope this helps you not have to disable your control surface in the future. My Nextar’s control surface has been great otherwise. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/30/2022 at 8:34 PM, Cappy said:

Thanks for the reply. I too have a nektar keyboard (panorama). What ended up working seems like a total glitch. I went to preferences > advanced and disabled and immediately enabled “show advanced tools”. Now all of the transport functions under “customize control bar and display” are totally selectable. I ended up updating to the most current version of logic which required going from Catalina to Monterey (it needs at least Big Sur). The new wording for show advanced tools is “enable complete features”. Hope this helps you not have to disable your control surface in the future. My Nextar’s control surface has been great otherwise. 

I have the same problem here. It comes randomly and force me to disable and enable the advanced mode. I have no idea why logic is acting like this.

I believe it is because you are choosing to customize the control bar and display when it is configured for for one of the other options. If the display is configured for custom - and then you choose customize the  then all options should be selectable.  See images below -  and if that is a solution to the described problem or if it is another issue beyond what is pictured below. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 3.29.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 3.29.16 PM.png

• Like 1

Funny how this thread popped up a day or two after I've been dealing with the *exact* same issue in another thread (and I found the same workaround above)!

I had the same thought about the control bar being in another mode and trying to customise it, but that is not the issue. It does seem this is a genuine bug...

well it very well may be a real bug - when I tried to reproduce without being in the custom display mode ( which is only because I am at work and normally always use the custom display setting and wouldn't have noticed it) - I was surprised when it was dimmed but toggling advanced on/off didn't produce a different result - so thought it could be different problem

It seems to be related to the advanced features - in other words, it thinks some sections of the advanced features haven't been enabled, so those functions are greyed out as not present. It's possible the bug was introduced when they bundled all the advanced features into a single on/off checkbox, and that in certain cases the transport controls are not being correctly enabled.

People experiencing this should definitely report it to Apple, hopefully it will get fixed in the next version...

I feel it is a bug. As the default, my Logic is always on custom mode. It sometimes doesn't show all the features I chose before. When I go to customize the control bar I see they are all grayed out. I have to go back to preferences and toggle off and on to make them available.

I feel it is related somehow to sleep mode or something like that. 

I attached 2 screenshots. see enable complete features is checked and the control bar is on custom but in the next screen shot you will see some of the options are grayed out.

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 11.45.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 11.46.19 AM.png

Edited by reza sadeghi

Ok, I think I have found the problem. When my computer goes to sleep mode or screensaver, this issue appears. I opened a new project with all the customized control bar options. I left my computer to go to the screensaver. I came back and realized logic shows no longer the customized bar and all are grayed out.

By the way, the sleep mode is off on my computer and just have a screen saver.

• 3 months later...
On 5/31/2022 at 4:34 AM, Cappy said:

no idea how you worked that out - but thanks (a LOT 🙂 )

• Like 1

I've been seeing this behavior as well. I'm not sure if it affects all 'advanced features', but for me it's not just the control bar options - I've also seen it with track region editing (region contextual menu only displays the simplified feature set) and track alternatives (similar). Disabling and re-enabling complete features fixes it as described. I also happen to be using a Nektar controller (Impact GX61) - not sure if that's a factor. I haven't observed if it's specifically related to the computer going to sleep and/or the screen saver coming on.

I talk to Nektar tech on Nov 10 and he said they are aware about the problem with Logic.

here is the reply:

Hi Reza, Thanks for trying that. While we haven't had many reports of this issue, it's definitely a priority for a fix, if it can be fixed from our end.  We are actively investigating the problem and from what I understand it's also being investigated by our contacts at Apple.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

As this thread states, we are aware of an issue reported by some Nektar/Logic Pro users where some of Logic's customizable settings become disabled or can't be accessed, even though Advanced functions are enabled.

We have unfortunately not been able to reproduce the issue on any of our test systems. Logic Pro is highly customizable so it is possible the issue relates to a very specific user configuration. If you are experiencing this issue, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our support. We appreciate any information, that may help us reproduce, and ultimately resolve, the problem.

In the meantime if you experience this issue, as mentioned earlier in this thread custom settings can be restored as follows:

-  From Logic Pro's menu locate "Settings/Advanced”

-  In the “Advanced” menu, untick "Enable Complete Features" and tick it again. The Advanced menu features will now reappear.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TChandler said:

Hello all,

As this thread states, we are aware of an issue reported by some Nektar/Logic Pro users where some of Logic's customizable settings become disabled or can't be accessed, even though Advanced functions are enabled.

We have unfortunately not been able to reproduce the issue on any of our test systems. Logic Pro is highly customizable so it is possible the issue relates to a very specific user configuration. If you are experiencing this issue, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our support. We appreciate any information, that may help us reproduce, and ultimately resolve, the problem.

In the meantime if you experience this issue, as mentioned earlier in this thread custom settings can be restored as follows:

-  From Logic Pro's menu locate "Settings/Advanced”

-  In the “Advanced” menu, untick "Enable Complete Features" and tick it again. The Advanced menu features will now reappear.

Hi, thanks for the post. Unfortunately, this problem also affects some commands in logic pro and disappears them like mute region and bounce commands when you right-click on the region. In this case, we should go to preferences and turn the advance mode off and on again to bring the commands back.

I think to reproduce the problem you just need the com.apple.logic10.plist of anyone who experiences the problem. If you think having this file will give you a clue to resolving the problem, I can definitely send you my logic preferences for you if you give me an email address.

Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reza sadeghi said:

I think to reproduce the problem you just need the com.apple.logic10.plist of anyone who experiences the problem. If you think having this file will give you a clue to resolving the problem, I can definitely send you my logic preferences for you if you give me an email address.

You could attach it here, I believe there could be others here willing to investigate this too...

Edited by JakobP

Whilst it seems logical that using the com.apple.logic10.plist would reproduce the issue, support already tried this and could not.  However it would be good to gather together a collection of plists with this issue (before and after the issue occurs if possible) so that I have more data to go on.  

If you log into your account at www.nektartech.com, you can submit a support ticket and upload the plist too.  This is preferred to emailing support directly, as the ticket data is recorded and stored in your account.

Hello all,

We have sent a debug version of the integration with the startup routine disabled to some willing customers experiencing this issue.  

However it would be useful to know if there is any delay before the issue occurs on startup?

So for example if you have custom toolbar settings that are greyed out, do you notice this immediately after startup, or does it happen shortly after startup?   If there is an obvious delay to these settings getting greyed out after startup, this suggests it is more likely this issue can be addressed on Nektar's side.

• Like 1

Apologies for multiple post all, I really want to get to the bottom of this.  At the moment, we are still unable to reproduce the issue, but it seems to be associated with loading projects, not plists.

As I look for consistencies between users experiencing this issue, I'd like to know how you are applying custom toolbar settings - 

Are they applied using 'save as defaults' at the bottom of the drop down customisation menu (see attached image)?

or

are the settings customised and then stored with the project/template?

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 22.00.04.png

7 minutes ago, TChandler said:

Are they applied using 'save as defaults' at the bottom of the drop down customisation menu (see attached image)?

or

I've encountered this behavior, and have never used 'save as defaults' (any customization is just saved as part of the project/template), just in case that's a useful data point.

17 hours ago, TChandler said:

So for example if you have custom toolbar settings that are greyed out, do you notice this immediately after startup, or does it happen shortly after startup?

Before I uninstalled the Nektar plugin, the toolbar would be missing many icons that I had set as custom.

6 hours ago, TChandler said:

or

In my case, I really dislike that thing Logic has where a lot of settings are stored as project settings instead of program wide. It's actually really annoying, but maybe some people find it useful. So in my case, I did the save as defaults.

Hello all, and thanks for the feedback thus far.  

The good news is I've managed to reproduce the issue.  It appears to be related to custom key commands.  Even without and customised settings in the tool bar I can now see the number of icons change in the toolbar, if a certain set of customised key commands are used.

It may not be custom key commands specifically, but the issue is certainly related to custom settings cached with Logic projects.

The exact cause of the issue is yet to be determined, but now that I can reproduce the issue, if it is on Nektar's side we will get an update out ASAP.  

Edited by TChandler
  • Like 2