Setting up an Environment Transformer for note stuck on 127 Velocity

Dynamic_Notes
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

1 hour ago, Atlas007 said:

The Modifier plugin could be used on a software instrument, and (all) your hardware synths  could also be used on software instrument channelstrips via the External Instrument plugin. That approach is also offering other advantages.

Using the modifier plug-in would take away the possibility to edit the velocity of the recorded notes though. So the A1 in Dynamic_Notes’ case would always play back with velocity 80, regardless of what you set it to in the event list or in the graphical velocity editor. Huge disadvantage IMO.

3 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

You're using the wrong condition: you need to select notes with a velocity >=1, not <=1. 

Oops.  See thats what late nights do haha. Was about to turn in but nope. Will boot up Mac and try again Lol.  Be back shortly.

Edit: It works. Great! Only thing is I'm getting a strange little clicky/static  noise with a note on and off. I did notice that before while trying to work this out though. Would somebody be able to try a Transformer with these settings and see if they get this too? You can hear it much easier if the synth or whatever, is low volume. I get it whether its my external synths or SW Instruments.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Edited by Dynamic_Notes
Add info
  • Like 1

Thankyou for your thoughts on the Modifier @Atlas007 When David  mentioned the External Instrument I thought I'd like to explore that again. Its a long time since I utilized it.

@polanoid thanks for your input on the Modifier. With the Environment transformer I can and have altered the velocity when necessary. It's a compromise having it at one velocity but thats better than 127 and at least its editable after the fact. It certainly would be a severe disadvantage to have that note stuck on one velocity if Im understanding you correctly.

Also at this point for whatever reason, Im able to select my two external instruments with the new Transformer settings in Logic 10.7.2.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Like 2

Thats what I thought too, but Im no Environment guru. As I said earlier in this thread I was getting three entries in the Monitor. If I hold down a chord I'll only get one cc123, but for each single note I get one. Is that just normally how it works?

In any case, trying the obvious first, the weird little noise at this point seems to have resolved itself by simply replugging my midithru cable. Im cautiously optimistic.

10 hours ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

Thats what I thought too, but Im no Environment guru. As I said earlier in this thread I was getting three entries in the Monitor. If I hold down a chord I'll only get one cc123, but for each single note I get one. Is that just normally how it works?

No. And even an Environment guru can not find out where that cc123 comes from with the information you gave us.

• 2 weeks later...

"Can you detail your MIDI equipment and connections? "

@ David Nahmani  -  Thankyou for your response. Its a very simple setup. My Focusrite 4i4 has one midi in and one midi out. I have my Roland D50 as the controller keyboard utilizing both those ports. Local is set to off. Omni off. Not using SysExc. The D50 is set to send and receive on Channel1. The midi thru on my D50 is used to send midi to my Wavestation AD on Channel 3.  If there's anything I've missed please let me know.

I have an oldish Casio 88key. I patched that into the Focusrite midi in to test and Im not getting the cc123 events in the Environment Monitor, so it must be coming from the D50.

The image of the midi implementation chart shows the All Notes OFF (123) and (123-127) in the Transmitted and Recognized columns respectively, being set as Yes. There's no accompanying asterisk denoting  it can be set manually and memorized. Would this have anything to do with these messages being sent?

261096393_MidiImplementationChart.png.43982a94bafb38fd3750f55ebc52260e.png

4 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Try disconnecting one MIDI gear at the time

In following that process I simply got down to having the D50 using just its midi out to the focusrite midi in - thats all. Still got that cc123 message.

I dont have anything in the control surface area to bypass -  none of them use usb which I always assumed is a requirement, so Ive just hooked them up direct.

19 hours ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

In following that process I simply got down to having the D50 using just its midi out to the focusrite midi in - thats all. Still got that cc123 message.

Then that cc123 comes from either your Focusrite or you D50.

19 hours ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

I dont have anything in the control surface area to bypass -  none of them use usb which I always assumed is a requirement, so Ive just hooked them up direct.

Nevertheless, I would try the Bypass All Control Surface.

BTW, why don't you update Logic to its current version (v.10.7.4)?

Also, have you checked the MIDI Reset Messages preferences? Do you have anything enabled in there?

On last resort you could probably use a Transformer in the Environment to filter out those cc123...

Edited by Atlas007

Thanks for your input Atlas007

5 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Then that cc123 comes from either your Focusrite or you D50.

When I  tested with the Casio - with just the midi out to Focusrite midi in, there was no cc123 message so I thought it must be the D50.

- Bypassing all Control Surfaces makes no difference.

- Having the Midi Reset Message Preference makes no difference either.

Checked in 10.7.4 as well in an empty project with just one External Instrument track. Still getting the cc123

What are the adverse effects I should be experiencing from these cc123 messages being sent?. Other than a few hanging notes from time to time, (which is fixed by a click on 'midi out' ) nothing untoward seems to be happening.

I do have 10.7.4 but the projects Im working on were started in 10.7.2. Sometimes it takes me a while to transition to new version, depending on what Im doing.

Do you know what the part I circled on the image I posted, refers to?

6 minutes ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

When I  tested with the Casio - with just the midi out to Focusrite midi in, there was no cc123 message so I thought it must be the D50.

You could test with only the D50 and see if you get the CC123? You can also use MIDI Monitor (free app) to see exactly what keyboard is sending what. 

7 minutes ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

Do you know what the part I circled on the image I posted, refers to?

It's saying that the D50 can transmit and respond to CC123 (All Notes Off). 

7 minutes ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

What are the adverse effects I should be experiencing from these cc123 messages being sent?

Earlier you mention a clicking sound and it was suggested that perhaps that clicking sound was due to the CC123 event. 

4 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

You could test with only the D50 and see if you get the CC123?

Yes Ive already done this. Just the D50 to the Focusrite into Logic. Nothing else hooked up. Still get those cc123s

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

You can also use MIDI Monitor (free app) to see exactly what keyboard is sending what.

I do have Midi Monitor, but I'm unfamiliar with how it works. I'll give it a try though.

Replugging the midi cable seemed to fix the clicky thing when I was trying things out.