Sync Logic to DaVinci Resolve?

MikeShapiro

• 5 months later...

Hi Mike,

A bit late to the party...but yes, you can sync Logic to DaVinci Resolve!
DavinciLogicSync.thumb.gif.1ae6f129a6af917b6288760d0ba1f73c.gif

You are right, DaVinci Resolve does not offer any kind of MIDI synchronization like MIDI Clock or MIDI Time Code (MTC), but it does generate LTC (SMPTE) which you can "convert" to MTC with software these days. In the animated GIF above I'm doing just that using Lockstep which is free software:

Lockstep

Here's some steps to set this up:

DaVinci Resolve 

1- Go to the Fairlight editor, and from the Fairlight menu choose "Remote Control Settings..." and turn on the SMPTE Timecode switch

DaVinciRemoteControlSMPTE.png.ef7bd6c9cf49de5c083ff94da70fa409.png  

2-Go again into the Fairlight menu and choose "Patch Input/Output...". Here you need to patch the LTC source (DaVinci Resolve's SMPTE Timecode generator) to a destination (an available audio output):

PatchLTCtoAudioOut.thumb.png.9e38eaf86b062faab2da6bf1fe9aae74.png

Since in my case I had DaVinci Resolve and Logic running in the same computer, I ended up using Blackhole to send the LTC stream to Lockstep.

Lockstep

1- Launch the software and chose the appropriate audio input where you're receiving LTC

2- Choose a MIDI output for the generated MTC. Lockstep conveniently has its own virtual MIDI port, but you can use IAC.

Lockstep.png.c3449f072b54e038a49fee5940acfe1c.png

Logic

I'm sure you already know how to do this, but for completeness sake I'm adding the bit about setting Logic up to receive MTC.

1- Go to File menu and choose Project Settings > Synchronization... then go to the General tab. Here you just need to set the Sync Mode to MTC and set the frame rate to the appropriate value (to match the frame rate used in your DaVinci Resolve timeline). You can also check the "Auto detect format of MTC" and Logic will prompt you if it detects a different incoming frame  rate than what you have already set.

LogicProjectSyncSettings.png.6872dd5b9f9b466dce93f46acb2e0a0c.png

And that's pretty much all there's to it.

Hope you and/or someone else finds this useful.

J.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello I just found this and have been following the steps. But for the life of me I can't find the lockstep you have here. How do I navigate to see if I'm getting signal from Logic to Da Vinci?

Lockstep

1- Launch the software and chose the appropriate audio input where you're receiving LTC

2- Choose a MIDI output for the generated MTC. Lockstep conveniently has its own virtual MIDI port, but you can use IAC.