Create copy of MIDI note(s) 1 octave above or below the current one(s) - Keyboard Maestro

Danny Wyatt

For years that I wanted this to become a shortcut, but up until 10.6.3, no luck.

Recently I started using Keyboard Maestro (for those who don't use it, please do! It's such an amazing tool that makes everything so much faster and easier!). Today I decided to think of a way to finally create that shortcut... and I did it!

I'm leaving the macros in attachment (one for +1 octave and one for -1 octave) and feel free to customize them. I have specific "needs" such as disabling the MIDI Out button so I don't hear the note(s) and I also have a custom shortcut for Paste at Original Position, because I'm using Shift+CMD+V for something else. So yeah, feel free to customize them. To make it work, just select the MIDI note(s) you want to transpose and then press the shortcut for the macro you want to use.

Basically what it does is:
1 - If the MIDI Out button is ON, turn it OFF [to avoid playing the note(s)], otherwise, go straight to number 2 below
2 - Hit the shortcut to copy the note(s)
3 - Hit the shortcut to copy the note(s) in the original position. So now you have the same note(s) on top of the original one(s)
4 - Since the new note(s) is/are still selected, it runs the shortcut to transpose the note(s) up or down an octave.
5 - Turns the MIDI Out button back ON (if step #1 was TRUE - button was ON), otherwise, it just ignores it.

And there you go. With a simple shortcut, you just created a new copy of 1 or more notes, 1 octave above or below the original notes :)

Let me know if you find this useful

Danny Wyatt - Macros for Logic to Transpose Octave Up or Down.kmmacros.zip

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Thanks for sharing Danny! Note that this particular example can also be done with a Transform window user preset that can be recalled with a key command. 

image.png

I rarely use the Transformer and when I do, it's pretty much just the Humanize feature and a way to randomize notes to create new melodies or rhythms. I think I will eventually spend some time learning what can be done with it.

For this particular case, this Keyboard Maestro takes literally 1 second to execute and I'm all about saving time and being more productive. Maybe the Transformer method can be used for those who don't have Keyboard Maestro, though.

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danny Wyatt said:

I rarely use the Transformer and when I do, it's pretty much just the Humanize feature and a way to randomize notes to create new melodies or rhythms. I think I will eventually spend some time learning what can be done with it.

I have a feeling you would enjoy using the MIDI Transform window. If you're about saving time, you'll find that the execution is pretty much instantaneous, which is 1 second faster than 1 second! 😁 I know that Keyboard Maestro has its strengths in certain areas, but honestly give MIDI Transform a try when you have some time. 

Here's an example of a fun use of the Transform window (that I have actually used in my compositions): create an harmonized echo (here 1 octave up). This works great with legato synth sounds. 

image.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I have a feeling you would enjoy using the MIDI Transform window. If you're about saving time, you'll find that the execution is pretty much instantaneous, which is 1 second faster than 1 second!

Yeah I started watching a video from this guy (40+ minute long) and it seemed interesting. If for anything, at least I will be learning a bit more about MIDI in general, which is always a good thing.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atlas007 said:

Exactly!

When I say "together" I'm not necessarily saying that they work with one another, like communicating with each other or something. What I mean is that having both of them have saved me so much time and work.

For example I create backups of presets from several apps and all and I like to keep them organized so when create them on a specific folder called BACKUPS, Hazel then rename those files a certain way, send them to their specific folder, after 30 days they go to a folder called "Old Backups" and then after another 30 days, they get deleted. Stuff like that.

I also have a box called INBOX where I dump everything (the same way people use the Desktop) so at the end of the day I organize it. Then for certain files all I need is to add a specific tag and those files are automatically moved to their folders and then remove the tag. Those are what I call "moving tag". The only purpose is to really just move files and folders to specific folders and once there, they are removed.

These are just 2 very simple examples. But I have way more complex workflows that really save me minutes of work and all I need to do is move 1 file to a folder, which takes me 2 seconds 😊

Edited by Danny Wyatt
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

I guess that is very useful when dealing with lots of files on a regular basis, right?

That too, but even if it's something you do here and there but involves a long workflow or you having to remember all the steps, it's very useful. For example those backups I mentioned, that's something I do maybe once a week or when I make changes to those presets. But once I export the presets to the BACKUPS folder, I don't need to think about them anymore, because I know everything gets organized automatically.

For example the BACKUPS folder (which is like an INBOX folder for backups) knows that if it receives a folder called todoist-backups.zip (let's say that this is the default name Todoist gives new backups), it renames it "Todoist Backup, Jun 16 2022, 7.13 am" (for example) and moves it to the Todoist folder. That way I don't have to rename files manually or remember how I format them, and I don't have to look at the date and time and type it.

And then once they are older than 30 days, they are moved to the Old Files folder and after another 30 days, they get deleted, so I don't have to keep reminding myself to organize that folder :)

• Like 1

@Atlas007

Like this, to move the files older than 30 days to the Old Files/Todoist folder1550973142_ScreenShot2022-06-16at7_22_59AM.png.0fbe01a8fc68dcd9dc361262d1646fb0.png

Another thing I do is having my desktop organized. macOS automatically saves screenshots there, right? So Hazel, when the desktop receives a png file that contains the word "screenshot", automatically moves it my INBOX folder.

The option are endless ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Very interesting! I can already see how that would a good way to manage certain temporary files (whenever I'm experimenting, or preparing files to send to customers) that I tend to just put on the desktop that I  then constantly have to clean up and reorganize on a regular basis. 

Yeah, stuff that you do over and over again, or if you always want certain files and folders to be renamed a certain way without you always having to remember the naming format, this is super useful. And then you can "nest" actions:

For example you can include a folder X and say "when the conditions are these, do this and this and that, then move them to folder Y". Then you can include the Y folder and add other actions. It's a chain of events that happen all on the background and all you have to do is export your files to a certain folder, even if it's the desktop, if that's where you usually dump your files ;)

As I said @Atlas007, I don't like my screenshots images to be on the desktop so I have this action:

image.png.6498fd47dae00a3edf408f50ad1227d4.png

Edited by Danny Wyatt
  • Like 1