Time and Pitch Machine Blank

Music Spirit
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

When trying to alter the pitch of a sound file, I usually use Time and Pitch Machine in the Sample Editor.

Sometimes on rare occasions several of the options are greyed out/not available.  I have tried making a new discrete file of the original audio but still the option to use th Time and Pitch Machine is not available.

Any solutions?

5 hours ago, Music Spirit said:

Sometimes on rare occasions several of the options are greyed out/not available.  I have tried making a new discrete file of the original audio but still the option to use the Time and Pitch Machine is not available.

Some of the options in the Time and Pitch machine interface are always grayed out. All of the Original length values for example: they're meant to be information, not for you to enter new values. Same with all the Destination values (except for Pitch Transposition) when you're in Classic Mode. I agree that the interface is not exactly intuitive or even correct per GUI standards. 

If that's not what the issue is, can you share a screenshot

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Music Spirit said:

Thanks David, but I cant see after 15' of trying to find how to disable this in the Region Inspector - and if I control click and create a new file .. the same thing happens. Time and Pitch Machine is still greyed out

Can you share a screenshot of the region inspector when that region is selected?

• 9 months later...

Still cant understand why Time and Pitch Machine is greyed out - that file is a Control F file of the original. And I have tried saving it as Mono - same greyed out 'Time an Pitch Machine'

A supplementary question: I need to move this song up two half steps from Bb to C

I have been using Pitch Shifter plug in as a work around but... I am sure it sounds better if you pitch shift the whole audio using Time and Pitch Machine? Or am I mistaken? ;)

10 hours ago, Music Spirit said:

Still cant understand why Time and Pitch Machine is greyed out

It's normally that the file is in RAM (for example it's flexed somewhere in the song). If you want to provide your project (for example via WeTransfer or DropBox or Google Drive) then I'll have a look. 

10 hours ago, Music Spirit said:

I have been using Pitch Shifter plug in as a work around but... I am sure it sounds better if you pitch shift the whole audio using Time and Pitch Machine? Or am I mistaken? 😉

Not necessarily. Pitch shifting quality is highly dependent on the material, so the best is to experiment here.

I would however try to simply use the Transpose parameter in the Region inspector for all your regions, that's what usually sounds best and you can tweak each track individually: go to Flex view, choose a different Flex algo if needed, adjust that algo's settings in the Track inspector... 

Using Transpose also means none of your MIDI region (if any) will suffer any distortion from audio pitch shifting, which is a good place to start. 

• Like 1

Thanks David. Here is the link to the logic project - ( though I did solve this by chopping up a copy of the original audio file and joining it up to create a new Region - then Time and Pitch Machine was no longer greyed out and working).

Would be great if you could diagnose the cause of T & P Machine not being available on certain audio tracks that are imported ( ie for Transcription).

My aim is to get a good quality ( or as good as possible) version of the audio transposed up a tone from Bb ( original key) into C

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwew9zwdc9epca5/Mokgoshi - Time %26 Pitch Grey.logicx.zip?dl=0

• Solution
5 minutes ago, Music Spirit said:

Would be great if you could diagnose the cause of T & P Machine not being available on certain audio tracks that are imported ( ie for Transcription).

The audio file has the .m4a extension, that's not a production format. For production work and to be able to access the edit functions in Logic Pro you would want to convert the file to PCM (Wav, or AIFF). 

• Like 1