CLAP: new open-source plug-in standard

enossified

As Logic is probably going to remain AU-only forever, this may be of limited interest to folks here but I was surprised to see a new open-source plugin standard has been anounced by plugin maker u-He and DAW maker Bitwig. Open-source is a big deal since it means no licensing fees and it can be freely extended by anybody. The main claims are it support per-note modulations (MPE, for example), reporting more information (such as required samples) to the DAW, coding is C-based and promises better stability. It's still only in beta and it might end up going nowhere, only time will tell. The list of vendors "evaluating" it includes both Avid and Presonus, though no NI, Ableton or (no surprise here) Steinberg,

More info at the u-He website.

• Like 1

They've been talking about it for a while, so I knew they were doing it and the release was happening this week.

I agree that's it's unlikely Apple is going to want to support another plugin format, unless the userbase expects it and it gets significant momentum... they successfully resisted supporting VST easily enough...

It'll be interesting to see the take up, especially as there seems to be some dissatisfaction with the VST platform with customers and developers...

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...