Software instruments intermittently transposing up a half step

question
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

I am having an issue where software instruments, Logic's as well as third party instruments, are intermittently transposing up exactly a half step.

This happens on all projects and with my own templates as well as the Logic factory templates.

I suspect it is a corrupted plist, but thought I would post and see if anyone else has seen this issue.

I choose a software instrument track (or create one) open an instrument and when playing a note it sounds exactly one half step higher. (sometimes)

Somtimes previously recorded software instruments will suddenly start playing a half step up.

This happens when using my MIDI keyboard as well as, for example, Kontakt's virtual keyboard.

I can see in the MIDI monitor that Logic is receiving the correct MIDI note.

I have been using Logic for twenty-something years so I have checked all of the potential suspects that I could think of such as:

-Checking if the transpose is set to zero in the MIDI object parameters

-disconnecting my MIDI keyboard

-Checking the Event list

-Starting with a blank Logic template

-checking Logic's Environment

Any ideas?

Since the problem is intermittent, even on the same channels and instruments, I suspect some sort of plist corruption.

I know how to back-up and re-install my Key commands, but wanted to know if there is a way to save all other preferences without having to reset them all after erasing the plist.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Fuzzfilth,

yes of course I checked the sample rate, which is correct in Logic and on my interfaces.

I suspect a corruption since the (same) instrument will sometimes work correctly then suddenly transpose.

We are talking about one instrument from several transposing , the rest are working correctly.

As I wrote; it happens with both Logic and third party instruments.

Thanks for the help.

• Solution

Can you check if any of your MIDI input devices sends bogus Pitch Bend messages by looking at the "Input Notes" monitor in the Clicks & Ports Layer in the MIDI Environment window? EDIT: 1) I just read your initial post and think you already did this? 2) I would bet a substantial amount of money that this has got nothing to do with a "plist corruption". 3) Does this only happen on the focused track (and maybe on other rec-enabled MIDI tracks)? 4) Does this happen for notes played live, or for recorded notes, or for both?

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 9:27 AM, question said:

Since the problem is intermittent, even on the same channels and instruments, I suspect some sort of plist corruption.

An easy test would be to create a new user account on your mac (which creates fresh default plist files for the new account) and see if you can reproduce the issue there? 

It could also be some attached MIDI device transmitting pitch bend events, have you tried to turn off or disconnect all MIDI devices? (Oops: I see that @polanoid already suggested that)

If neither help, attach an example of a project that creates this issue here to see if any of us can reproduce the issue? 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips.

Polanoid, yes I looked at the Clicks & Ports Layer in the MIDI Environment window and saw that unintended MIDI data was in fact being received.

Normally all controller info from my Keyboard is turned off since I use an external unit, but somehow they got switched back on.

I did not see the Pitch bend data because I did not realise that I had the "pitch bend" view option turned off in the Event list!

Anyway, thanks!

• Like 2