Your LP reference book

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

David, I am wondering if your book has got references to controlling instruments attributes and modulation (at note-level)  in a practical fashion (not so much in “software” but a “music” language). I am finding that Logic has got much many advanced controlling elements/features (some of which either do not work or I cannot get them work - example: string modulation depth and frequency) and so on. 
If so, I am keen to purchase your book but in iBook format through Amazon and not hard copy. Is the Kindle version the same?

• Solution

Hi Shahram, 

My book does touch on that subject, for example it shows how to create pitch bend automation for a musical phrase played on the ES2 synth and how to adjust the ES2 to make it respond to the pitch bend curve over a larger range of notes. 

However it doesn't go further than that nor does it talk about, for example, Logic's Studio Strings instrument. 

If you want, you can ask your questions in the Logic Pro forum and we'll try to help if there's a way to help? 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 9:12 PM, David Nahmani said:

If you want, you can ask your questions in the Logic Pro forum and we'll try to help if there's a way to help? 

I think there is room to have practical guides for each category instrument as for the specific attributes which need to be attended to in order to achieve a professional outcome from using each and then mixing them together. Common “decorating/masking” things are what most attended to (such as reverb) but we need to understand things as digital composers/conductors who can do as good and even than natural instruments and orchestras. Anyway, as you suggested, I start by Studio Strings which are critically important. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the topic above, I have attached a screenshot of the Region Automation Controller for Studio Strings here. What I am keen to know is what does NOTHING amongst the list. For reference, I use Volume, Pan, Modulation, Note Velocity and Pitch Bend. None of the rest seem to do anything, or I don't know how to get them work. For instance, with Modulation, I can plot the curve on respective notes but the extent of control is limited to the depth, whereas I want to be able to adjust attributes such as the frequency of the vibration as well. Alternatively, if someone can guide me to a reference material (not a 500 pages manual!!),  would be of great help.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 10.38.58 am.png

• 2 weeks later...

What I am keen to know is what does NOTHING amongst the list. For reference, I use Volume, Pan, Modulation, Note Velocity and Pitch Bend. None of the rest seem to do anything, or I don't know how to get them work. For instance, with Modulation, I can plot the curve on respective notes but the extent of control is limited to the depth

As featured in your posted screenshot, in Logic there are two types of automation listed in separate sections:

390629666_Capturedcran2022-07-16021149.jpg.3a7a666733b92233064e6e0a9de5c362.jpg

-Fader automation (the top part):

• Main
  • Smart Controls
  • 1 Strings
  • 2 Compressor
  • 3 Channel EQ
  • 4 Phat FX
  • 5 Gain

and

MIDI automation (which consist of MIDI events). (the bottom part in your screenshot):

• MIDI Channel
  • Volume
  • Pan
  • Modulation
  • Expression
  • Sustain
  • MIDI Control 0-63
  • MIDI Control 64-127
  • Note Velocity
  • Pitch Bend
  • Aftertouch
  • Program Change

In your posted screenshot, the elements listed in 1 Strings correspond to the automat-able parameters found in the Studio Strings plugin's GUI. I would suggest you open the Studio Strings plugin and open its extended part (click on the > at the bottom left of the GUI) in order to crosscheck same.

1162594299_Stringautomation.thumb.jpg.8f771156fa44bd72bcf73aa805889ed5.jpg

Those Strings's listed automat-able parameters don't necessarily correspond to their denomination. By that I mean i.e.: the Dynamic Controller automation item will not control the dynamic performance of the played strings but will rather select which MIDI event type (PW, CC) will become in control of the dynamic. IOW those select-able automation listed items will automate solely the GUI parameter and only their associated function within the plugin. Not (directly) the strings playback dynamic itself.

In order to actually automate the strings playback dynamic, you would need to

1. set Dynamic Controller to a CC (11 Expression would be a sensible choice, although not mandatory),
  2. set Dynamic via CC to ON (as shown in the above picture),
  3. choose one of the Dynamic Controller Mode that suits your needs
  4. and finally use a MIDI controller that sends the required CC11 to modulate in realtime the dynamic of the performance which will be incidentally recorded.

Unlike Fader automation, the MIDI (CC) automation will be recorded if you actually press Record button in Logic transport control (like it would be needed to do to record notes played on your piano (MIDI) keyboard.

I want to be able to adjust attributes such as the frequency of the vibration as well.

I maybe mistaking but I think that you would have to resort to Sampler's modulation feature, and automate (likely) the LFO 1's rate.

Sorry, you would have to crack to book (delve into the documentation) to familiarize yourself with those features...

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 1