Manually remove plugins from Plugin Manager?

theeicebear

I tried some plugins and the trial ran out. Removed them. Happy days. But no, they are STILL listed in Logic Pro X's "Plugin Manager" everytime I open Logic it tries to load these plugins and I have to exit the nag screens every single time. It makes me want to break things. 

Anyone know how I can edit the plugin manager manually to not look for these plugins that do not exist? As the "remove plugin" option is greyed out as Logic can't find the plugin. Feel like I'm taking crazy pills at the moment lol. 🤬

Thanks in advance! 

Screenshot 2022-06-19 at 12.28.05.jpg

2 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Ok good. Now see if deleting the cache helps? See this: 

Tried that, as I found this topic searching google. Didn't remove the entries to the Plugin Manager. Isn't there a file it reads that I can edit and remove the plugins by hand that do not exist? Having the "remove plugin" feature is a bit useless if it's greyed out.

5 minutes ago, theeicebear said:

Didn't remove the entries to the Plugin Manager.

That's frustrating. Normally just removing the .component file should do it. Did you look up both the root location and your user library as well to make sure neither still has a .component file related to this plug-in? 

6 minutes ago, theeicebear said:

Isn't there a file it reads that I can edit and remove the plugins by hand that do not exist?

No there's no such thing. 

7 minutes ago, theeicebear said:

Having the "remove plugin" feature is a bit useless if it's greyed out.

That "Remove" option in the control-click pop-up menu is only for organization, it lets you remove a plug-in from a category, not remove a plug-in from the plug-in manager, which is why if you try to use it for a plug-in outside of a category folder, it's grayed out. 

2 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

That's frustrating. Normally just removing the .component file should do it. Did you look up both the root location and your user library as well to make sure neither still has a .component file related to this plug-in? 

No there's no such thing. 

That "Remove" option in the control-click pop-up menu is only for organization, it lets you remove a plug-in from a category, not remove a plug-in from the plug-in manager, which is why if you try to use it for a plug-in outside of a category folder, it's grayed out. 

The user location may work. I'll try that! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Great, best of luck. Let us know! :D

There's no .component files in my home user folder. I can't find any of the plugins searching by their name. No files at all that relate to them. That's why I asked what the Plugin Manager is reading to populate it. As it must be reading from some sort of file. 

1 minute ago, des99 said:

This free utility will tell you all the plugins installed on your system, and their location:

https://www.thinkersnacks.com/as-pluginfo.html

You can select the ones you want to remove, shift-command-F to show them in finder, and delete them. Give your machine a restart, and they should be gone...

thanks! i'll try that! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theeicebear said:

I can't find any of the plugins searching by their name. No files at all that relate to them. That's why I asked what the Plugin Manager is reading to populate it. As it must be reading from some sort of file. 

Searching in the finder doesn't search system locations by default, which is why you're not finding them by a search (you must add the search option: "System files are included" to do this).

Plugin Manager displays all the plugins your macOS system sees as installed, it doesn't read from a file as such, it queries the system (via the audiounit cache file as an intermediary).

Edited by des99

49 minutes ago, des99 said:

Searching in the finder doesn't search system locations by default, which is why you're not finding them by a search (you must add the search option: "System files are included" to do this).

Plugin Manager displays all the plugins your macOS system sees as installed, it doesn't read from a file as such, it queries the system (via the audiounit cache file as an intermediary).

That app worked perfectly! They were scattered all over the place. But now it loads up instantly with no nag screens! Thank you so much for your help! It's made my day! 😁

• Like 3

Great! If you want to say thanks to the dev, it's available for coffee-bucks on the AppStore.

Really useful utility, and for plugin issues that people often have, it makes it really easy to see what's on your system and navigate there without having to tell people how to get to the various plugin folders etc. I think it's probably going to be a standard recommendation here, at least for me, for these kinds of things.

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

One thing I do when I want to uninstalled apps, plugins, etc, is using EasyFind. It's pretty good at finding files that Finder doesn't at all, especially the very annoying "feature" that Finder doesn't find audio files by their name, but by their metadata. So for example if I have an audio file called "Song.mp3", but the metadata for Title is "Love Boat", trying to find the file by using "song" as the name, will show no results, whereas EasyFind does.

So basically when I want to uninstall, I just try every combination of app's name, if the name has 2 or more words, I try them separate and together, I even search for the company's name.

13 minutes ago, fisherking said:

i moved from 'easyfind' to 'find any file'

I believe I tried Find any File as well, but for some reason I didn't like it as much. Maybe it was missing some features I needed? Don't remember...

But yeah, to me that's the best option. Going deep and finding those all files, just in case...

22 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

I believe I tried Find any File as well, but for some reason I didn't like it as much. Maybe it was missing some features I needed? Don't remember...

But yeah, to me that's the best option. Going deep and finding those all files, just in case...

i had no choice; with one of the new mac oses, easyfind crawled... (am sure it's been updated since). anyway, find any file has a lot of options (ie showing or hiding invisibles, package contents, etc) and i use it a lot.

3 minutes ago, fisherking said:

i had no choice; with one of the new mac oses, easyfind crawled... (am sure it's been updated since). anyway, find any file has a lot of options (ie showing or hiding invisibles, package contents, etc) and i use it a lot.

image.png.8e634188455123692672e0ef947f9d88.png

EasyFind does that as well. And yes, it was updated recently.

One thing I find annoying is that if the file or folder is protected, like system files, it doesn't allow me to delete them. It shows a warning message asking if I really want to delete them and shows me a button to delete, but it doesn't. So I always have to go to Finder and delete them manually, insert my password, etc. It's the only thing I don't like about it. I even contacted the developer, but no luck so far.

2 hours ago, Danny Wyatt said:

One thing I find annoying is that if the file or folder is protected, like system files, it doesn't allow me to delete them. It shows a warning message asking if I really want to delete them and shows me a button to delete, but it doesn't. So I always have to go to Finder and delete them manually, insert my password, etc. It's the only thing I don't like about it. I even contacted the developer, but no luck so far.

i 'm able to delete (with my password entered) anything & everything; might be worth checking out 'find any file'... (obviously, no one can delete essential OS files); but everything pertaining to plugin or app installs, etc

7 hours ago, fisherking said:

i 'm able to delete (with my password entered) anything & everything; might be worth checking out 'find any file'... (obviously, no one can delete essential OS files); but everything pertaining to plugin or app installs, etc

When I'm in Finder, I can too. The issue is with the app itself. If you care to read, here's the thread and the developer's replies, which make no sense based on the context: https://discourse.devontechnologies.com/t/easyfind-doesnt-delete-protected-files/71540

Nothing wrong with protecting certain files, but then why the button and the question to delete the files? Makes no sense at all.

• 2 months later...
On 6/19/2022 at 5:39 AM, des99 said:

This free utility will tell you all the plugins installed on your system, and their location:

https://www.thinkersnacks.com/as-pluginfo.html

You can select the ones you want to remove, shift-command-F to show them in finder, and delete them. Give your machine a restart, and they should be gone...

Thanks! This worked perfectly. Wanted to install a different version of a plugin that had issues. So wanted to remove the previous version. It's not free anymore, but $2.99 from the App Store. But worth it. We want to support developers who make great apps. 

• Like 1