Drummer Notation

Antaren

I'm learning to read drum notation.  In the tutorials I see online, I see the kick/bass drum on the lowest SPACE, the Snare Drum on the 3nd to lowest SPACE Like this:

image.png.056a4d3225a552a57573c071a9cecc85.png

In Logic, I'm seeing the drum track notation with the bass drum on the lowest LINE, the snare drum on the 3rd to the lowest LINE.  like this:

image.png.c0ff60cdc7513a20dcf2a45b18368ed0.png

Why is this occuring? Thanks.

Edited by Antaren
Logic Pro 10.4.8 | Macbook Pro 2020-- SSD drive| Catalina 10.15.7 | 2.3 GHz i7 | 16 GB memory| Melodyne 5 | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre| Summit Audio 2Ba-221 preamp

By default, Logic creates your scores based on a melodic scale corresponding to the actual notes on musical Bass and Treble clefs. This is a totally reasonable and expected behavior for musical applications for which a majority of scores will encompass.

Because drums and percussion instruments are generally not considered as melodic instruments, with a few exceptions of course. E.g. Bells, Timpani, Xylophones and etc.; the score editor will create notes in the score based on the actually MIDI notes that you're using to trigger your drum sounds. 

The GM Midi Standard designates that the kick, snare, hi hat, cymbals and etc. are triggered on specific notes but there are still many variations of that standard.

What you'd have to do in order to achieve the result you're after is either create a custom MIDI map within the VST instrument you're using. For example, given your first screenshot and presuming that is a Treble Clef you're referencing:

• Kick drum will need to be assigned to F
  • Floor Toms will need to be assigned to A
  • Tom Drum will need to be assigned to E

And etc. If your VST supports it. I use Addictive Drums and I know I have that flexibility if I chose to use it.

The alternative would be to do the same as mentioned above along the same premise within Logic. This way it "should" always map the way you'd be able to keep the expectation consistent for any drum VST's you use.

I recommend giving this a look. It will probably clear up some questions for you and provide an alternative for you to achieve what you want.

Edited by Maestro777
  • Like 3

iMac Pro 27 | 3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W | 256 GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB Graphics | Apollo x8p Audio Interface | Monterey OSX | Presonus Quantum 2632 | Celemony | ReVoice Pro | Cubase | StudioOne | Logic 10.7

Thank you, Maestro777.  I will watch the video.

Logic Pro 10.4.8 | Macbook Pro 2020-- SSD drive| Catalina 10.15.7 | 2.3 GHz i7 | 16 GB memory| Melodyne 5 | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre| Summit Audio 2Ba-221 preamp

Thanx Maestro777, excellent and clear tutorial!

• Like 1

LogicPro 10.7.4, MainStage 3.6,
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6, MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.16.1,
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII, Several vintage gear
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, Arturia, etc..., PC, iPadPro 5th gen 12.9”(Duet D., V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL),

On 6/23/2022 at 7:53 AM, Antaren said:

I'm learning to read drum notation.  In the tutorials I see online, I see the kick/bass drum on the lowest SPACE, the Snare Drum on the 3nd to lowest SPACE Like this:

image.png.056a4d3225a552a57573c071a9cecc85.png

In Logic, I'm seeing the drum track notation with the bass drum on the lowest LINE, the snare drum on the 3rd to the lowest LINE.  like this:

image.png.c0ff60cdc7513a20dcf2a45b18368ed0.png

Why is this occuring? Thanks.

An easy fix is to duplicate the #Drums staff style and set the position as indicated in the first attachment. (Open Staff Style Window> New popup: New Staff Style.)

The default Logic #Drums position is in the second attachment. 

modified.png

Default.png

Edited by 60s Pop Man
  • Like 1

M1 Mac Mini 1TB, macOS 12.4, LPX 10.7.4, MOTU M4

Thanks 60's Pop Man.  I will give  your fix a try, too.

it is actually not a fix but rather how one assigns drum parts to the staff. If you open the #drums staff style or whatever you named the drum staff style you are using. You can define both the position context and and drum group. This normally will suffice for simple mappings or to change default mappings as in your case. Should you require very specific mappings you would need to use a mapped instrument object ( then you have total control over everything). Here is a quick video showing how the parameters in the drums staff style affect placement in the score for your specific case/question. 

DRUM NOTATION.gif

 Logic Pro X Certified : Logic Pro X 10.7.4: 10.8.1 (beta) OS X 12.4 (Monterey) | 2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core I7 : 32GB Memory : 2-1TB SSD ; 4 Drobo's 48TB combined | MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) - 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 | Presonus StudioLive 16 Series III (Digital Audio Interface and Control surface for Logic) | Roland FR-8X : Roland A-PRO ; Ketron SD-90 ; I-Connectivity Mio XL Midi Hub/Router (Networked),  Behringer BCF2000, BCR2000, Novation Zero SLKMKII, Steinberg UR816C Audio Interface

Is it me or all that seems to be missing here (compared to using the mapping object) is the note head choices?

Edited by Atlas007

ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII, Several vintage gear
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, Arturia, etc..., PC, iPadPro 5th gen 12.9”(Duet D., V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL),

Great  question ATLAS and thought process but actually there is quite a bit more.

The drum staff style capabilities should provide what most users need, but the mapped instrument object is the "mother" of all objects in terms of versatility, for example the staff style is limited to relative position changes by group not by drum note and yes you cannot change the note head,  while th mapped instrument object allows you to....but there is more......

Name (snare, hi-hat, and so on) - You can name a note anything you want (tom's kick, Mike's Snare, Room Applause etc.)

Mapped to an output note  - you map any  input note to a different (any)  output note 

provide a velocity offset -   You can set an initial velocity

Assigned its own MIDI channel - you can specify which midi channel the note should be sent on.

Sent to one of up to 16 output cables (This allows you to create a single instrument that addresses multiple sound sources.) - You can pick which cable you want the note sent to..... ( advanced feature based on how the physical input object is wired.) 

Give  its own notation parameters: note head shape, relative vertical position in the staf(for each note), and create any drum group assignments you want with as many notes in the assignment as you want. l

So as you can see it is very powerful!

Edited by volovicg
  • Thanks 1

 Logic Pro X Certified : Logic Pro X 10.7.4: 10.8.1 (beta) OS X 12.4 (Monterey) | 2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core I7 : 32GB Memory : 2-1TB SSD ; 4 Drobo's 48TB combined | MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) - 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 | Presonus StudioLive 16 Series III (Digital Audio Interface and Control surface for Logic) | Roland FR-8X : Roland A-PRO ; Ketron SD-90 ; I-Connectivity Mio XL Midi Hub/Router (Networked),  Behringer BCF2000, BCR2000, Novation Zero SLKMKII, Steinberg UR816C Audio Interface

My goodness volovicg! 

That is a real enlightenment! Thanx so much! I am now gaging more how your dedication to LPH forums is invaluably precious!

Indeed the mapping object is definitely one of the real Logic’s gem!

Lets pray that Apple never abandon or deprecate any further the Environment…

So much to discover in there…

Thanx to shed some light on it for me us!