Logic, sudden spikes and unable to have more than one plugin on master buss

Flevans

Hi all

hope you can help. Long time logic user. Suddenly experiencing drop outs and crashes frequently. Today using my standard mastering chain, I can't use any more than one plugin on the master buss before logic gives me system overload message.

I have tried all the plugs on my master channel individually and it still happens so it's not about any one plugin. One thread is fully maxed out regardless.

I have tried full reinstall, plugin rescan, trashing old plists, max buffer size and all the usual performance settings.

at an absolute loss and have projects to finish!! 

Mac Pro, Mojave, Logic 10.5.1,

thanks in advance for any ideas x

9 minutes ago, fisherking said:

are your projects on the mac drive, or an external? and does this happen with all projects, or just one?

anyway, some things to try:

reset nvram

reset the smc

boot into safe mode (then reboot)

Appreciate the quick response.

projects are on external drive - I had a SSD just for the projects themselves.

I am having problems with all projects in terms of stability, but really noticing it when I do any mastering and have several plugins on the output / master buss

ill try those resets and safe mode boot, thanks. I have just tried first-aiding my startup drive as I noticed lots of kernal usage taking up CPU - I also rebuilt launch services database and it seems to have improved performance for now?!?

essentially in trying everything and hoping something makes a difference 😬

8 minutes ago, triplets said:

That will go to one CPU core, so the peaks will depend on the type of plugin (Ozone sucks a lot of energy) and the capabilities of your computer.

Thanks, yeah I'm aware of the single core use - this has been a standard plugin chain for a while so the behaviour is new. Just to be sure I did also check each individual plugin and as soon as any one was switched on (and of the 8 in the chain) it would spike the core and crash. Very odd.

Really helpful everybody, thankyou.

the main drive first aid plus the terminal command to rebuild launch services has sorted the problem for now. No idea if it's temporary or not so will try and be me methodical and try other approaches as and when I know it's doing the same thing

PLEASE HELP!!!

I really think maybe my Mac Pro has finally died. The performance meter now shows 5 cores fully maxed out even when nothing is playing. I have done everything I can inc full resets, reboots, cleaning caches, and still this.

does anyone have any other ideas that i could try??

thankyoooooou

B4852223-3A63-4AAF-9F8A-36EC9B42E3C7.jpeg

41 minutes ago, fisherking said:

start a test project on the internal drive,  not from a personalized template. fill it up with midi, audio. see how things go. save it, quit logic. re-open, add in some effects (compression, eq, etc), see how things go then.

you could could try this (the intel version):

apple diagnostics

Appreciate all your help, will try these and report back. Have a great weekend 👊🏻

• Like 1