Sampler anchor not moving much [SOLVED]

Danny Wyatt
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

Is this normal? I have a long audio file inside Sampler, I activated the Anchor (View>Show Anchor), but when I try to move it, it barely moves. I was assuming I would be able to put the anchor anywhere on the audio file? This is the average position when opening other files:

image.png.8491612e0b78e3a879a42617b1e98877.png

Edited by Danny Wyatt

9 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes, that's normal. The anchor can be placed up to 10,000 samples after the sample start. 

Thank you. Any specific reason for the 10,000 samples? Wouldn't it make sense that the anchor would behave like the normal audio file anchor where you can place it anywhere you like? I'm a bit confused by the limitation...

Edited by Danny Wyatt

• Solution
10 hours ago, Danny Wyatt said:

Any specific reason for the 10,000 samples

This feature was very likely designed this way so a slow attack of strings, or the initial 'fff'-phase of a soft trumpet note, or the quiet spit at the start of a strummed guitar chord could be either included for better realism or shortened for better timing, and dynamically so, to be modulated via the Mod Matrix, which in turn only has a resolution of +-100%, which is far too coarse for the entire length of a sample, so a shorter range has been chosen.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Danny Wyatt said:

Wouldn't it make sense that the anchor would behave like the normal audio file anchor where you can place it anywhere you like? I'm a bit confused by the limitation...

You cannot compare the "normal" audio region anchor with the Sampler Zone anchor. For Audio Regions, the Anchor defines the position in the tracks area (i.e., the position of the audio region is shown as the position the anchor is as), but the whole audio region is played back nevertheless, also the part before the anchor. Hence it makes sense to be able to move it anywhere inside the region's (not the file's) borders.

For Sampler zones, the anchor point marks the start of the playback. Everything before it is ignored anyway, so why would you want to waste huge amounts of screen real estate to show data - before the anchor - that isn't even used? If you want playback to start at a later position than (sample zone begin + anchor offset), just move the left border of the zone to the right.

EDIT: I have to correct myself here, the anchor point is indeed used to shift the start of playback of the note to the left, so it is quite similar to the audio region anchor point. But, as @fuzzfilth already pointed out, this is more to correct long attack phases of instruments, surely not to place it on transients at arbitrary positions in the file.

Note also that the attack phase before the anchor point will not be played when playing the instrument in real time, only if it's triggered via playback of the song. So large anchor positions really don't make sense.

I did not find a way to modulate around the anchor point though - @fuzzfilth are you sure this can be done?

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fuzzfilth said:

This feature was very likely designed this way so a slow attack of strings, or the initial 'fff'-phase of a soft trumpet note, or the quiet spit at the start of a strummed guitar chord could be either included for better realism or shortened for better timing, and dynamically so, to be modulated via the Mod Matrix, which in turn only has a resolution of +-100%, which is far too coarse for the entire length of a sample, so a shorter range has been chosen.

Thanks for clarifying

• Danny Wyatt changed the title to Sampler anchor not moving much [SOLVED]
13 hours ago, Danny Wyatt said:

That's not the same anchor. I'm talking about the anchor inside Sampler, not the audio file anchor

I think that the region could be imported into Sampler once the anchor has been moved as desired from within Project Audio Browser. Isn’t?

Edited by Atlas007

25 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

I think that the region could be imported into Sampler once the anchor has been moved as desired from within Project Audio Browser. Isn’t?

As stated by the other users, the Sampler anchor is not the same as the other anchor we use in audio regions (where we can put it anywhere we want). It doesn't serve the same purpose. The one in Sampler is limited to 10,000 samples, for example, and it seems to be used for a different end result.

17 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

As stated by the other users, the Sampler anchor is not the same as the other anchor we use in audio regions (where we can put it anywhere we want). It doesn't serve the same purpose. The one in Sampler is limited to 10,000 samples, for example, and it seems to be used for a different end result.

Indeed. I was just making a suggestion for the use of the anchor...

I also realize that same represent a rather niche and convoluted approach to use same.