New M2 Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and Mac mini, New M3 iMac and MacBook Air (Fall 2022, early 2023)

These rumors are coming from Mark Gurman, Global Apple/Consumer Tech journalist at Bloomberg. 

Aside from all sorts of rumored updates to iPhones, HomePod and Apple Watch, what's really interesting for us Logic Pro users are the following new Macs that Mark Gurman expects to be released as soon as Fall 2022: 

Upcoming M2 Mac releases:

• an M2 Mac mini.
  • an M2 Pro Mac mini.
  • M2 Pro and M2 Max 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros.
  • the M2 Ultra and M2 Extreme Mac Pro.

Upcoming M3 Mac releases:

• an M3 13-inch MacBook Air (code-named J513),
  • an M3 15-inch MacBook Air (code-named J515),
  • an M3 new iMac (code-named J433)
  • an M3 12-inch laptop that’s still in early development. 

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2022-06-26/apple-aapl-plans-iphone-14-apple-watch-series-8-m2-macs-for-2022-and-2023-l4vd5unx

• Like 1

• David Nahmani changed the title to New M2 Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and Mac mini, New M3 iMac and MacBook Air (Fall 2022, early 2023)

I suspect the M2 would be in the Mac Pro since it hasn't been changed over yet.   I just got the M1 Ultra Mac Studio and it's so powerful I don't ever see a need for a pro.  The only thing I could think of is for the ultra heavy duty CGI and simulation people.   Us music users will be fine with Mini's, Studios, and MBP's.  Still, can't wait to see what comes next.

20 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

The M2 MacBook Air could come out as early as July 15!

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/29/macbook-air-m2-available-friday-july-15/

I might actually go for the M2 macbook Air high spec as my main system, coz my back up computer, a 2016 Macbook Air with 8gb RAM works flawlessly with Logic latest and Monterey, but with the new M2 Air come with Monterey?

1 hour ago, fisherking said:

i'll (probably) start beta-testing ventura on my (intel) imac. will keep everyone posted. & i am planning an M2 air as well (but not planning to run logic on it). we'll see...

I wont be upgrading my OS till about 2029, Monterey is working great with logic and Pro Tools no problem, I have only just upgraded from El Capitan, 7 years !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fisherking said:

i'll (probably) start beta-testing ventura on my (intel) imac. will keep everyone posted. & i am planning an M2 air as well (but not planning to run logic on it).

Sounds great, you should start a new thread for Ventura when you do it so that you can share your findings and any cool new feature(s) you find! 😀

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Sounds great, you should start a new thread for Ventura when you do it so that you can share your findings and any cool new feature(s) you find! 😀

will do (if & when. occasionally, my GF or a collab will suggest i play it safe, and keep working with a setup that already works 🤪)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, @David Nahmani. I did go with the 13” M2 because of form factor and price. So far it runs my projects (which admittedly aren’t very complex—usually 5-8 tracks but lots of modulation) entirely smoothly. Logic startup time feels faster than my old 2017 MBP (unsurprising!). 3rd party plugins (Reaktor 6, SoundToys, TDR, Melda) work great. So far my favourite thing about it is the ability to use high impedance headphones without an extra amp when I’m on the move. No complaints!

Edited by grrdjf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grrdjf said:

Thanks for the tip, @David Nahmani. I did go with the 13” M2 because of form factor and price. So far it runs my projects (which admittedly aren’t very complex—usually 5-8 tracks but lots of modulation) entirely smoothly. Logic startup time feels faster than my old 2017 MBP (unsurprising!). 3rd party plugins (Reaktor 6, SoundToys, TDR, Melda) work great. So far my favourite thing about it is the ability to use high impedance headphones without an extra amp when I’m on the move. No complaints!

13" air or pro? (am assuming the air...). just curious, how much ram did u go with?