10.7 book - created drummer track issues

I just started lesson 2 of the 10.7 book and the drummer track that was created has notes at the start of the region that aren't sounding. I realize that this is just because the notes are in front of the 1 (when I move the region to start at bar 2 and start playback from before bar 2 I hear the hits). Is this just quirks of the humanize function in built into drummer? Am I supposed to just ignore this? It says in the lesson that I'm supposed to be hearing that crash at the beginning of the region, but the fact that I don't gives me pause. For the record, I did reset my preferences as the book instructs

I tried starting with a new project and repeating the steps but the result was the same

I ended up moving on with the lesson and soon enough it didn't matter anymore. I suppose it's still worth asking the question for the benefit of learning and for others in the future

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 10.10.17 PM.png

Edited by m-m-m

2 hours ago, m-m-m said:

I realize that this is just because the notes are in front of the 1

I am not aware about the content of that recent book, but the fact you mention about the region being set before 1 (guessing that you mean 1.1.1.1) reveals the source of the issue. Logic is notorious to exhibit idiosyncrasies if anything is set before the 1.1.1.1 musical grid position.

Edited by Atlas007

12 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

I am not aware about the content of that recent book, but the fact you mention about the region being set before 1 (guessing that you mean 1.1.1.1) reveals the source of the issue. Logic is notorious to exhibit idiosyncrasies if anything is set before the 1.1.1.1 musical grid position.

The region isn't necessarily set at 1.1.1.1, the drum hits fall before the first beat (the 1) of the region. If you look at my screenshot, you can clearly see the hits at the start of the drummer region. If I move the whole region to 2.1.1.1 and start playback from 2.1.1.1 those notes still will not sound. If I move the region to 2.1.1.1 and start playback from 1.3.1.1 then I can hear the notes. I've seen behavior like this before in midi regions that I've humanized, but I would think that a default drummer region wouldn't do that. Seems like you'd want any other beat to be humanized, but leave the first beat of the bar alone.

Interestingly enough, as I moved through the lesson it had me try other drummers. I didn't have this problem with the others, but as soon as I switched back to Kyle those first hits on the 1 were getting clipped. Later in the lesson David goes over refreshing a drummer region. I tried that a bunch of times, and sometimes I got the crash and others the kick. Never together. Would the push/pull setting affect this?

I haven't finished the lesson yet. It got late. Maybe I just need to ignore this, but I'd like to know why it's happening and how to avoid it. As it stands I'm at the start of the "Editing the Intro Drum Performance" section and all my drum regions are missing at least one hit at the beginning of each region.

Ok, I see now more clearly what you mean.

If Logic produces that automatically, I think that is either a bug or a corrupted project (or project template)…. Does the issue appears in another newly created project, after rebooting Logic, not using a pre-existing template?

TBH, I’m not using Drummer very often, so I never encountered such an issue.

To alleviate the issue: with the converted Drummer to MIDI region, have you tried extending its left border to encompass those early notes, it should solve the playback (silent notes) issue.

Although being still on Big Sur, when I get to the studio, I’d like to verify if I get the same issue. For the sake of same, could you provide me which preset (and the steps) you’re using so I could reproduce the same context? 

Does the issue appears in another newly created project, after rebooting Logic, not using a pre-existing template?

yes - create a new project. select drummer from the pop up (rock genre selected by default on my screen, but I think that's variable). created region is like this. I just tried again and it's still like that for me. I guess that's what I wanna know - is there something wrong, or is it this way for everybody. As I said above, when I refresh the region, it moves things around a little so I wouldn't be too surprised if someone got it working the right way from the get go. I'm accustomed to making drums in the piano roll, but I'd like to be able to start using drummer more

To alleviate the issue: with the converted Drummer to MIDI region, have you tried extending its left border to encompass those early notes, it should solve the playback (silent notes) issue.

Well, that might work if the created region wasn't at 1.1.1.1 ... and I can get the notes to play if I move the region and start playback before the start of the region .... but the behavior is a little weird for the "default" bone stock drummer region. It's also a little weird that this never came up while beta testing the 10.7 book, which begs the question why is it happening now to me?

Yes, there are workarounds ... I just feel that when you're doing one of the lessons in David's books (this is my second one) you should be able to follow along and have things function in a predictable way. If you go off the rails in a lesson and start trying to fix things it can derail the instruction. I talked my production partner into buying the book and I'm starting it in front of him so that I can find any issues he might have (plus it's a good refresher after a few years off). He's new to logic, and less accustomed to music production on computers (I'm so happy that he's finally on board with logic 😃). Tha's a lot of context, but I'm starting to ramble ...

Although being still on Big Sur, when I get to the studio, I’d like to verify if I get the same issue. For the sake of same, could you provide me which preset (and the steps) you’re using so I could reproduce the same context? 

That'd be helpful. I'll recap what I said above for the sake of clarity

1. create a new song (no template)
  2. select Drummer and Rock genre
  3. created drummer region is like as discussed above: with the kick and crash outside the region borders and before 1.1.1.1. I've done it 4 times now and the result has been the same each time

Here's a bunch of emoticons so that nobody thinks I'm manic or angry

😀🙂😘😜😊

Edited by m-m-m
  • Haha 1

So, I created a new user profile on my Mac and followed the steps outlined above and it worked fine both times I tried it. Interestingly, an AU named "Console Recall" from uad failed validation. Might be worth mentioning that I'm not using any third party AUs except for the ones that came with the interface. and the ones I had to use with for ultranova 

Edited by m-m-m