macOS Ventura, round 1

fisherking

ok... life isn't as perfect as i thought. seen this twice, and there are others reporting it as well:

sometimes bouncing out of logic and overwriting a previous bounce causes logic to crash. am going to (for now) not overwrite bounces, but save to the desktop, then just replace the previous saved bounce.

so, a workaround for now, and reported on the beta feedback app.

1 hour ago, des99 said:

I saw someone else report that Plugin Alliance plugins can't find their authorisation file when it's on a USB key in Ventura too, and thus won't work...

plugin alliance uses a usb key? i don't have anything from them, but i thought they had a software install manager. either way, i'd expect there to be some issues on a new OS (but still impressed with how few, and, for me, minor).

so far..... 🤔...

14 hours ago, des99 said:

Optionally, yes. You authorise to either your system drive, or a USB key (which makes your authorisations portable between multiple computers).

seems worth trying to authorize on the system drive (at least as a test), and that person should notify plugin alliance asap as well)...

18 minutes ago, fisherking said:

seems worth trying to authorize on the system drive (at least as a test), and that person should notify plugin alliance asap as well)...

Sure. Some people need to use both, as they use multiple accounts, and you can only have one account per device (ie, so you'd auth to the computer for one account, and auth to a USB key for the other). This eg gets around license transfer fees to move plugin between accounts.

I don't know what's going on with this, it could be some kind of permissions issue, for example, and I have no desire to help troubleshoot that case - I was just simply passing on failure reports I've seen in case it applies, or is useful for others. ymmv

• Like 1

An iLok is not a regular generic USB key, you can't store files on iLoks or use them for PA activations. This is normal and expected.

The required USB key for PA is just that - a standard USB flashdrive you can copy files to.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xgman said:

This crashing on overwriting bounce files is driving me crazy. It's hard to remember to move or delete the old files first. Can't imagine what kinda bug would cause this even in beta... ugh

i have been thru so many worse bugs... this is a walk in the park. it's the best first-public-beta experience i've had running logic since the public beta program started.

i've just been saving any new bounce to the desktop, and then moving that file to the correct folder, and overwriting the previous one this way. easy enough (for now).

really, betas are betas, and we're lucky it's as good as it is.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, xgman said:

Unfortunately beta 4 released today does, not solve the bounce overwrite crash issue.

It might be a problem with Logic's code, rather than the OS itself, and would require a Logic update to fix it, of course.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, des99 said:

It might be a problem with Logic's code, rather than the OS itself, and would require a Logic update to fix it, of course.

my suspicion as well; an issue between logic and the OS. reported it twice, will probably be a while until a fix (since it likely does mean a logic update).

so, basically, @des99, right as usual...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ashermusic said:

So let me understand….you guys expect that a version of Logic Pro released before a public beta of a new OS was released to not have any bugs running under the new OS beta?

Contact me to buy some swamp land I have for sale in the Okeefonokee.

don't be ridiculous; where has anyone said that? 

i would think, after what you & i went thru a few years ago re the OS betas, that you'd handle this better.

99% of everything works, this is one small thing. i have an easy workaround, zgman is dealing with it. but read that again: 99% of everything works. so, no one wants your swamp... 🙄

9 minutes ago, Ashermusic said:

It seemed like people were surprised, that’s all, where that’s what I would expect.

people have issues in logic on final OS releases, thru every version of the OS. besides... "seemed"? which post suggests that? (seriously, can you point to it?)

the only surprise xgman and i referenced was in how well logic is running under the ventura beta. 

there is an apparent issue opening some newly-installed plugins (this is being discussed on macrumors).

i just installed sublab XL; i can validate the plugin, but it won't launch (so i can't get to the GUI); happens with the freestanding app as well. i did an install of code red free (just a freebie from pluginboutique), just to try it, and that did install and open.

otherwise, for some plugins, something in ventura is blocking access. have reported it; just letting ppl here know.

fwiw, sublab XL and equator2 update issues are specific to both of those plugins, and not (just, if anything) a ventura issue, as others are experiencing these issues as well.

outside of the 'overwrite bounce' problem, everything is working beautifully; no crashes, weirdness, etc. just reporting this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fisherking said:

fwiw, sublab XL and equator2 update issues are specific to both of those plugins, and not (just, if anything) a ventura issue, as others are experiencing these issues as well.

outside of the 'overwrite bounce' problem, everything is working beautifully; no crashes, weirdness, etc. just reporting this.

Thanks for all you do. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

almost a month in. outside of the save issue (discussed in this thread), am not having any problems. working a lot this past week, and no crashes, quirks, issues. everything works.

ozone 9 advanced (my mastering app) is happy as well.

it's a great experience (for a beta, or any time), and happy to report this.