Studio Horns Drop Out

Mark Willmott

Hi everyone,

I have had this issue for a little while and would love to get it solved.

I have a patch with seven channel strips, five of which are assigned to STUDIO HORNS. Only three of these strips play at any one time.
The beginning of this particular song involves a brass solo. This is again repeated throughout the song.
It always starts fine, but as we go through the song the audio for these strips just stops whilst playing and then doesn't come back.
I play this at home and it's fine, no problems but as soon as i get in to a band environment  (practice or live) the same thing happens every time. I then have to resort to a second patch that has FULL BRASS channel strips instead of STUDIO HORNS. This is o.k but is doesn't sound as good.
I use my macbook through a focusrite interface with a M-Audio Axiom 61 key controller.
The only thing i can think of that is different to when i'm playing at home is that in a band environment, when things are a bit louder, i am possibly hitting the keys a bit harder and that this maybe triggering some sort of aftertouch setting which causes the issue. I may just be clutching at straws but i have spent many an evening trying to resolve this and just when i think i have, we do a gig and it's still there - so frustrating.
Any thoughts or potential fixes would be very welcome.
Thanks in advance
Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well those things are built for speed, so I don't think that would be the issue.  I assume that's where Logic has stored its libraries, as its the default setting.

Have a think about what is different in those two circumstances, that should help you narrow it down.

Try checking out the Preferences > Audio...  Devices, General and Sampler settings.  In particular have look at how much virtual memory is assigned in the Sampler settings, and the IO Buffer size.

Mark, do you have Autosave enabled (in the General tab of Preferences)? If so, disable it for a start…this will always cause problems during live performance  

Also, what are the specs of your machine? A buffer of 256 samples PLUS the I/O Safety Buffer really isn’t ideal for live performance. 

Edited by Maddcow

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maddcow, update as promised.

Unfortunately the situation is still the same. I may now try and create a new patch using the same channel settings within a totally new concert (just the one patch for now) and see if that makes any difference. Down side is due to holidays we have a five week break.

Thanks again for trying.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have a very similar problem with both Studio Horns & Studio Strings. They play as expected for a couple measures but then they start to drop out and then completely stop sounding. If I change horn instrument (example: from alto sax to trumpet) it resets and works again for a short amount of time until the same problem occurs.