Which piano sounds better to you?

So I took 2 piano VST's I have and inserted a MIDI C-F-C-G chord progression on each

I am trying to determine if anyone agrees with me as to which one sounds better -- they are both "raw" (no EQ, no compression, no effects, no MIDI CC) and they have been gain-matched

Edited by MorphineNoir

It depends on the context really (and there is no context here). If you're going for a rock-type arrangement, the first piano is cleaner and brighter and would probably fit better.

The second one is a bit darker, thicker and muddier, less transients, and might work better for a reverb-drenched score piece, for example.

There generally isn't much value in a general "which is better", the art lies in "which do you prefer/works better for you for a given role in the arrangement".

7 minutes ago, des99 said:

It depends on the context really (and there is no context here). If you're going for a rock-type arrangement, the first piano is cleaner and brighter and would probably fit better.

The second one is a bit darker, thicker and muddier, less transients, and might work better for a reverb-drenched score piece, for example.

There generally isn't much value in a general "which is better", the art lies in "which do you prefer/works better for you for a given role in the arrangement".

I am learning that I like a much brighter piano sound

• Like 1

Piano sounds... A vast subject.

Yes each piece can require a different piano.

Personnaly I think I have something like 120 or 130 piano patches from various origins, each of them slightly or completly different. Grands, uprights, felted, close miked, audience miked, player miked, multi-miked, with mechanical noises or not, beaten or almost broken, etc...

Plus the realy processed/prepared ones.

Yeah, @FLH3, I think there's a reason why "there are so damned many piano patches out there." 😀

Your song, your project. Pick the one that sounds closest to the way you want the part to sound, with a minimum of additional sound-processing then required.

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 2