Understanding RAM usage in Logic

Eric Wikman

I am about to upgrade to a Mac Studio and I'm wondering if I need the 64gig of RAM option, since I just looked at Activity Monitor (2013 Trashcan 32 gig) for a song I am mixing and it says Logic is using 26 gigs of ram (I restarted the Logic and the same song still used 22gig). I do use a good sized template but most tracks are not "active". Is the ram usage mostly from things like Kontakt? I just heard that the new M1 ram can load more due to the SoC. I want to understand this better. If I'm using that close to 32 now, I want to future proof my purchase as much as I can. I don't load large orchestras etc. Also currently use about 1.5gig for things like Kemper's Rig Manager,  open Youtube videos and others. Thanks!

Just my take - No matter what they say about unified memory, I still subscribe to the view - get as much RAM as you can. I've read a number of accounts of people hitting brick walls with the 8GB models even on minimal projects. Also depending on the Library, ( Im talking about NI) it can widely vary as to how much RAM gets used. There's also settings one can utilize to optimize how RAM is used. Some other libraries will optimize things after you play through your project once, such as only loading the actual notes played.

Also a point to consider is that if you constantly get low on RAM the swap file writes to disk more and more. I personally would prefer that not to happen. No sense in causing too many write cycles on the SSD shortening its life. Some would argue that SSDs are much better quality now than in times past and thats probably true, but I think these considerations help somewhat for someone who wants to future proof.

• Like 1

If you can pay for 64 (or 128, don't know if this option si possible), go for it.

If you can pay for big storage, 2To or more, go for it.

Yes, unified memory, memory swapping, bla bla bla, in real life more is more.

And additionaly the more you get at the begining the longer you'll keep your machine (which is a sustainable and responsible way to respect our planet).

• Like 3

If given a budget choice between "a beefier CPU" and "more RAM," I will invariably choose "RAM."  Because, figuratively speaking, it means nothing to be driving a Lamborghini if you're stuck on a two-lane road behind a Yugo.  Everything that your "beefy CPU" is working on (instantaneously) must be in "RAM."

• Like 2