Where to put Space Designer IR-files?

RhythmTrax
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I've purchased and downloaded several IR (Impulse Response) reverb files which I can use with reverb plugins that support this, which includes Logic's own Space Designer, but where should I place those files?
Obviously I can place them anywhere on my Mac, but a default location would be nice so I don't have to navigate through the whole Mac hard drive each time I want to choose a new one.
I see that the default location for the built-in defaults is at : /Library/Audio/Impulse Responses/

But for consinstency in backups and tidyness I like to keep personal files in my own user folder, so is there a specific location to use for this, and can a user default be added to the factory default for Space Designer?

I'm using Logic Pro X 10.4.8 on a Mac running OSX 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

• Solution

Generally speaking, factory content is separated from user content for good reason. I suggest to keep your own IR's separate from Logic's bundled content, and usually the factory stuff is stored in the root locations, and user content in the same user locations.

You can make that folder an alias to where you want to keep your IR's, or a folder alias inside it.

If you save Space Designer presets for each IR (tedious - but I automated this a while back with Keyboard Maestro) then those can appear in the preset menu so you won't have to go through your IR collection at all (which is unnecessarily tedious in Space Designer imo - it's the main reason I use LiquidSonics' Reverberate 3 instead).

Setting up an alias to my user-IR folder did the trick!
Thanks for your suggestion 😀

I've heard a lot of good things about Liquidsonics Reverberate 3, but with its rather high price tag (US$ 99) Space Designer will have to do for now.
Do the IR files sound better/different when used with Reverberate 3 compared to Space Designer, or is it more user-functionality?

Edited by RhythmTrax
  • Like 1

You're welcome!

You can get good deals on LiquidSonics (and Reverb Foundry - same developer) plugins in their Black Friday sales - worth looking out for. Also, you more of their products you own, the more discounts you get on their products, so it's quite a good deal all-round...

Edited by des99