Relocate Library question (another!)

pinki

I can see this Library is a constant bothersome thing...

In my case I want to move it from an external drive where it works fine to a flash drive USB3.1.

I get the following message when I use the 'Relocate library' command in LogicL:

Any ideas? Is USB forbidden>

Thanks

Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 17.04.47.png

Have you given Logic access to your external drive?

As explained here:

Give Logic Pro access to your external drive

If you get an error that says content can't be relocated, give Logic Pro access to your external drive.

1. Quit Logic Pro.
  2. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Security and Privacy, then click Privacy.
  3. Click the lock button macos-system-preferences-lock-inline-ico to make changes. 
  4. In the left column, click Full Disk Access, then select the checkbox next to Logic Pro in the application window on the right.

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 2

Thanks.

I thought that might be it, changed the Full Disk Access status but still got the error.

Edit: so I've tried everything APFS/Extended/Journaled..this a brand new 128Gb San Disk USB 3.1 drive and same error every time.

I can only think that the Relocate function will only work from the default location to the next location and not from the next location to a further one.

Has anyone successfully moved their Library from one external drive to another external drive?

Edited by pinki

1 hour ago, pinki said:

this a brand new 128Gb San Disk USB 3.1 drive and same error every time.

So how come the system thinks there is 180GB of free space on it, from your screen shot?

Check your device isn't a counterfeit device and reporting it's space incorrectly - it happens a lot with flash drives bought eg on Amazon. You pay for a 128GB drive, you get one with 8MB or something, and it could report anything to the system to look like it's larger...

Try copying a bunch of files to it in the finder (it will take a while, these USB flash drives are very slow).

To be honest, I really wouldn't recommend installing Logic's sample content on a flash drive anyway, due to how slow these things are...

Edited by des99

Hi des99

Sorry my mistake, it's a 256GB drive and I've tried putting some files and folders on it and it's fine. Get Info reads 249GB available.

The Logic screen I posted read out 180Gb available as I had something else on there temporarily.

Hey pinki, have you tried formatting your USB drive as APFS? Just a hunch here.

Another thing you could try is to relocate the library manually using super-aliases (there were some very good threads on this board dedicated to this a few years back).

6 hours ago, pinki said:

Is there a difference between a Symbolic Link and a Super Alias?

It's the same thing, basically. I'd recommend creating them using Terminal (or whatever the current shell app in macOS is now called) AND use the 'sudo' command, which is required to be able to create symlinks to place in locations where a regular user account won't have the necessary permissions. I suppose, this might be the reason why your tool-created symlinks do not work.

Edited by Radarhus
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

That does sound like the probable cause here. 

I agree, but it's a bit naughty of Logic to make available a device for selection that it already thinks is unsuitable. It *should* grey out that device, and indicate a message of it's unsuitability, like it does for other unsuitable locations...

• Like 1

Just now, des99 said:

it's a bit naughty of Logic to make available a device for selection that it already thinks is unsuitable. It *should* grey out that device, and indicate a message of it's unsuitability, like it does for other unsuitable locations...

I couldn't agree more! Ideally there should be a message right there that specifies why a specific device isn't available for selection. Could be just an oversight however... I'll try to inquire. 

• Like 3

Very interesting! Thanks.

I just don't know what it can be then apart from I'm on 10.6.1 and I should try a different iteration. The USB key is definitely good and configured correctly and I've tried every which way of using the Relocate Library command...

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 10:01 PM, pinki said:

Very interesting! Thanks.

I just don't know what it can be then apart from I'm on 10.6.1 and I should try a different iteration. The USB key is definitely good and configured correctly and I've tried every which way of using the Relocate Library command...

Have you tried creating the necessary symlinks manually via Terminal (Shell) app and 'sudo' command?

14 minutes ago, analogika said:

The ability to use symlinks to point to a Library was added in 10.7, AFAICS, so that's out if the OP is still on some 10.6 variant.

Sure - *officially*.

Some of us were symlinking to content placed on external drives since Logic 7.x days... You could certainly manually symlink Logic's content to external drives (if you knew what you were doing) long before they officially added the ability for Logic to do it and take care of the details...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, pinki said:

No I haven't...can you point me to a walkthrough of that?

Here's a good article on the manual creation of symlinks in Terminal: https://www.howtogeek.com/297721/how-to-create-and-use-symbolic-links-aka-symlinks-on-a-mac/ 

Let me know if you have any questions or things you'd like to be clarified.

BTW, at least one of the advantages of manual content relocation is that this way it's possible to also relocate Apple Loops to external drive (that means saving up to 5-6 Gb of disk space on system HD). Currently Apple Loops are not relocated to external drive, for some reason (Logic devs lazy or something? lol ). Screen from LP User Guide (10.7  and later):

image.thumb.png.bc8e0cb880ca3cd79882287e2d12a0f6.png

Edited by Radarhus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...