Plugin shows up in PluginManager, but not in the Components folder [SOLVED]

Danny Wyatt
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I have the MIDIFreeze plugin showing up inside the Plugin Manager, but when I go to the Components folder, it's not there.

I went back to the folder where I have all my installers and the only file I see is an application with that name, that I then drag and drop to the Applications folder. No Installer per se, no .component file. I think this was initially installed via App Store.

Another weird thing is that inside the Plugin Manager it says version 1.6.0, but when I go to the app inside the Applications, it's version 1.0.5

Any idea what's happening?

Edited by Danny Wyatt

This might be an AU3 plugin perhaps, which don't reside in the usual *two* plugin folders, but are installed via the app. Are you trying to uninstall it?

PlugInfo, or auval should be able to tell you whether it's an AU3 plugin, and it's location.

Edited by des99

45 minutes ago, des99 said:

This might be an AU3 plugin perhaps, which don't reside in the usual *two* plugin folders, but are installed via the app. Are you trying to uninstall it?

PlugInfo, or auval should be able to tell you whether it's an AU3 plugin, and it's location.

Yes, it's AU3. I can see that info inside the Plugin Manager.
I'm not trying to uninstall it, but I was a bit confused on why I could see it, but it wasn't in any of the folders. So by just dragging the app file to the Applications folder is enough to install it and Logic recognizes it? To be honest I'm not sure how I installed it, but I believe it was via the app store and maybe I was able to get the installer before installing it. Can't remember.

If I want to delete it and install it again via the app store, how can I do it?

• Solution

Honestly, as I don't have any AU3 plugins, I'm not intimately familiar offhand with how they work. I just remember from troubleshooting someone else's setup that they had a plugin that wasn't in the component folders, but still was seen by Logic, and I realised that AU3 plugins aren't installed in the same way as regular audiounit plugins.

Yes, they are installed by their app (you have to run it at least once, I think). They are called "App Extensions", it comes from iOS.

A bit of googling might turn up how AU3 plugins work on the Mac... if you find anything out, please let us know... 👍

Edit: Turns out I do have some AU3 - Moog's Animoog and Model 15 iPad apps, which work as AU3 on the Mac, and show up in Logic etc... Deleting the App uninstalls the plugin, so the app extension lives inside the app and is called from the app bundle.

To delete, delete the app. To reinstall from the app store, just redownload, and run it.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

• Danny Wyatt changed the title to Plugin shows up in PluginManager, but not in the Components folder [SOLVED]
8 hours ago, des99 said:

Honestly, as I don't have any AU3 plugins, I'm not intimately familiar offhand with how they work. I just remember from troubleshooting someone else's setup that they had a plugin that wasn't in the component folders, but still was seen by Logic, and I realised that AU3 plugins aren't installed in the same way as regular audiounit plugins.

Yes, they are installed by their app (you have to run it at least once, I think). They are called "App Extensions", it comes from iOS.

A bit of googling might turn up how AU3 plugins work on the Mac... if you find anything out, please let us know... 👍

Edit: Turns out I do have some AU3 - Moog's Animoog and Model 15 iPad apps, which work as AU3 on the Mac, and show up in Logic etc... Deleting the App uninstalls the plugin, so the app extension lives inside the app and is called from the app bundle.

To delete, delete the app. To reinstall from the app store, just redownload, and run it.

Awesome. I was able to do just that and as you said, just the fact that it's inside the Applications folder, shows up in Logic. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1