Align multi track tape recordings to the grid?

kurtminus
Go to solution Solved by triplets,

Hello,

I have some live multitrack recordings of a band - live drums with multiple mics, guitar, bass, (no vocals). There’s no bleed on any of the mics. The tape has been bounced to logic with a default tempo setting of 120bpm (which not the actual tempo of the songs).

I want to align the recordings to the grid at the tempo of their actual audio.

I have tried the usual  instructions I’ve found online which involve grouping my tracks, setting the kick and snare mics as q-ref, enabling flex time and quantizing everything to 1/4 or 1/8 note or whatever and it just comes out like a garbled mess. 

Am I missing something? Is this something that doesn’t really work most of the time?

2 hours ago, kurtminus said:

I have tried the usual  instructions I’ve found online which involve grouping my tracks, setting the kick and snare mics as q-ref, enabling flex time and quantizing everything to 1/4 or 1/8 note or whatever and it just comes out like a garbled mess. 

These instructions are to quantize your recordings, which seems like it may be the opposite from what you want to do? If I'm getting this right, you want to detect the tempo of your recording and make sure Logic's grid follows that tempo so that you can use the grid for editing, but not affect how the audio recordings play back? 

If that's correct then either use triplet's suggestion, or use beat mapping: 

Hey everyone! Thank you for all your help with this. Smart Tempo Adapt Mode is exactly what I wanted!

One follow-up question. Next I'll be adding a lot of overdubs on new tracks. Will I need to enable flex time on those tracks so that they follow the global tempo automation? Or, will my new tracks automatically follow it? If I want to adjust the tempo of everything later in the global automation, my understanding is I'll need flex time enabled on all tracks, correct?

Thanks!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kurtminus said:

Next I'll be adding a lot of overdubs on new tracks. Will I need to enable flex time on those tracks so that they follow the global tempo automation?

I'm assuming you'll be recording the overdubs while listening to the project, in which case they'll be recorded at the new tempo, so no: nothing else to do. 

• Like 1