Midi Channel problems after using voice separation tool

amoscochran

Hi all, 

I'm using the voice separation tool in score editor to make the left and right hand make more sense in the written music. The tool w like a charm and is a game changer. However The notes that I end up moving to a different staff have stopped playing back. I understand the moved notes that are changed by the voice separator tool are now on MIDI channel 3 instead of one. If I switch them back to Midi channel 1 they play but are clearly on the wrong staff.

I was so excited to find this tool and want to figure out how to use the tool and have regular playback.

Thoughts? - Amos

Thank you for this answer. Is there a simple process to change where the MIDI out channel is set?

I also ran into something about switching my plug in (currently using NI's Noire Piano) to "omni" in the tools section of KONTAKT. This did not work initially, but did work some older NI piano plug ins. However, then the sustain pedal wasn't being registered in the play back. I need to sit down and learn more about MIDI routing.

* side note - Logic, why is this so complicated?! All I want is a simple thing to happen in score editor. =/

Polanoid - at this point I will politely disagree with you. I have been working with the score editor for over 10 years and find it to be so so clunky. I have had projects recently that I have had to send off to engravers to make better looking scores / parts. Its the uncontested best for writing the film score work that I do. But I really think Im going to be moving on to learning Sibelius at this point  for the final scores. =/ 

Logic’s notation programming is very different from a primary notation scoring software like Sibelius.

Logic will build a notation score from a recorded (realtime) performance. That imply that Logic will on-the-fly analyse and interpret someone instrumental performance. AFAIK, it was the first commercialized software to do such a prowess (in the 1980’s). Since then, Logic’s notation evolved to enhance and expand its features, and improve its capabilities in that regard. 

OTOH, Sibelius and the like use a simpler method for notes entry, such as hand/mouse (or perhaps per-note/chord keyboard input) notation scoring. Producing in the end a playable (although mechanic-like) product one can listen to.

Could Logic be simpler regarding score notation: (IMHO) I guess so, since it did improve tremendously since its early days…

Many people will use both, Logic to get a draft; then finalize the score appearance in Sibelius or MuseScore. I think that besides MIDI, XML could be used for same.

To obtain a good rendu notation-wise, one has to delve deeper into Logic, which represent a steeper learning curve than some other notation scoring software. But honestly, Logic can do way more musically-speaking than Sibelius or MuseScore.

Edited by Atlas007