Why is the piano roll scaling my midi velocities

the sinner
Go to solution Solved by ozinga,

I just upgraded from a much older version and then piano window (velocities) is driving me crazy

If you play a piano performance, select the velocities, compress them a bit by dragging down, then up to restore the dynamic 

why is it taking out my downwards compression?  

I want to move all velocities up by X amount - not scale things according to logic's whim 

Not sure to understand your method of velocity compression...

There are different ways one could modify (compress) velocities. Have you tried one of the following?

• Like 1

https://hollywoodscoring.box.com/s/b2p6ukozsa3ntx0ivfmjpu53lzaqtbln

video above

going back to Logic 7 - if you selected all nodes and dragged down (while holding) it would compress the velocities (it still does this) than I switch over to velocity tool and bring them back up to the initial level

old logic: preserves the shape of the notes 

new logic: re-expands the notes 

In fact is there anyway to even select a group of notes and increase their velocity uniformly? 

Logic has been behaving in the old way for maybe 15 years, is this a bug?

In order to compress the dynamic, by hand,  then increase the global velocity you have to use the horizontal slider located at your left in the piano roll or use the +/- velocity setting in the track parameter.

Edited by FLH3

• Solution

If I understand you right,

first hold and drag down the notes so they become closer,

then use the velocity slider on the piano roll inspector to raise them uniformly

edit: you can also do (after selecting all the notes)by holding control+command to get the temp velocity tool on a note(not the velocity point at the bottom but the actual note) and drag it up

Another thing is, if you want all velocities to be equal hold shift+option and drag velocity slider.

Edited by ozinga

20 hours ago, FLH3 said:

In order to compress the dynamic, by hand,  then increase the global velocity you have to use the horizontal slider located at your left in the piano roll or use the +/- velocity setting in the track parameter.

yes this seems to be the only place to do it - 

i can't understand why they would change that after 10+ years of the other method 

16 hours ago, ozinga said:

If I understand you right,

first hold and drag down the notes so they become closer,

then use the velocity slider on the piano roll inspector to raise them uniformly

edit: you can also do (after selecting all the notes)by holding control+command to get the temp velocity tool on a note(not the velocity point at the bottom but the actual note) and drag it up

Another thing is, if you want all velocities to be equal hold shift+option and drag velocity slider.

The control + command does not work in the bottom window of the piano roll editor