Event list, select CC info for multiple tracks

hecksome
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

Hi,

I'm using Divisimate (which is amazing!) to record and arrange midi onto multiple instrument tracks at the same time. On occasion there will be expression CC information that gets jumbled together with a previous take (I use capture recording for midi). Normally when I run into this problem I find it's easiest to go to the event list, select one expression event, then shift s to select similar and delete, and then redraw it smoothly. When I try to do this for multiple selected instrument tracks it only shows the events for the last selected track.

As I'm experimenting with this before posting, I see that you can press the back arrow at the top left of the event list, and then it's showing all the selected tracks, but once I click on any of the tracks to view the expression data, it's only showing that specific track regardless of what's selected in the main window.

Is there a workaround to select CC events for multiple tracks simultaneously that I'm missing? There are sometimes fifteen of these tracks with the jumbled automation, and hoping not to do this fifteen separate times.

Other workflow ideas would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks! 

AFAIK, the Event List editor will deal with only one track at the time…

The work around might be to (temporarily) move all those tracks regions into one track, then proceed with the (Event List) edition, and finally parse the regions back to their original tracks. That might be a good idea to sensibly name those regions to ease their return home.

Not currently being at the studio to verify if that could actually work… Thus as a piece of advice, you should test my suggestion on a backed up copy of your original project…

Edited by Atlas007

Great suggestion, thanks for that! Alas, unless I’m messing it up, it’s only showing the selected region in the event list. If I merge the region, not sure how I’ll split it up again without losing the time I’m saving. I guess I could stack the regions next to each other horizontally to preserve the track order, but probably not time efficient enough…

Atlas is correct: unlike Piano Roll, Event List can only show one region at a time. 

And you are correct that the re-splitting of the voices you merged would probably be more work than your current approach. If Divisimate can be configured to separate by channel, there is a Demix by Channel option. 

https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/demix-midi-regions-lgcpf7c0f28c/mac

I suppose you could manually set all data in the to-be-merged regions to their own discrete channel number, merge, work, then Demix by Channel. 

In any case, if you merge a few regions and everything is on the same channel, there would be no easy way to return them to their original tracks. Undo would not work -- it would only undo your CC adjustment, then undo the merge. There is the Voice Separation Tool, but we're nearly inventing work at this point. 

I see that you can press the back arrow at the top left of the event list, and then it's showing all the selected tracks....

Yes. That arrow is only changing the level of your view. Most often, you're stepping higher to see all the regions in the Tracks section of Main. Though it may frustrate at times, the limiting of one viewable region at a time in Event List is wise. It makes sense in Piano Roll; it could be chaos in Event List.  

Just tested it:

In the Event List Editor, go to the top view level using "the back arrow at the top left of the event list", select all the regions that needs to be edited in, then use the Transform in Function menu to select the events to edit/delete. That should do the trick.

Meaning that I was wrong (in my previous post),  at least in regard of dealing with the Transform function...

Sorry about that! :oops:

(... if at least I could edit my mistake, like it used to be possible in the previous forum version...)

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 1

• Solution

If I understand correctly you want to delete all Expression CC events from an arbitrary set of MIDI regions? In that case,

1. Window -> Open MIDI Transform,
  2. Popup menu in upper left, "Create new Transform set",
  3. Name that set "Delete Expression" if you want,
  4. Set up the Transform set as shown in screenshot,
    image.thumb.png.1714c8139e665ecb8dcfbeb97e3389ad.png
  5. Select all regions you want to delete Expression Events from,
  6. Press Select And Operate in Transform window.

You can later re-use that transform set, even using a key command: image.png.4a378a1a8235d2d22f6aca3d20668a60.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, hecksome said:

Welp, I realized this isn't showing up in other sessions. Is there a way to save this transform set that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Indeed this is saved per project only, so either try what @Atlas007proposes (although I never tried that so I don't know how well it works <-- EDIT: I just tried, it works fine, but I find it a bit unwieldy), or create your projects from a template that contains those Transform sets

Edited by polanoid