Transformer to change controller number

stewdio

Hey all - I'm in over my head with this one and hoped maybe someone would have some ideas if this was possible to cook up in the clicks and ports...

I want to use the Moog 500 editor plugin (an AU that just sends MIDI CC messages to a hardware delay) to control a Moog 104m delay, and the CC#s nearly match but a few don't. What I'm hoping to do is to use transformer instances to change the non-matching output controller numbers so just for example when the plugin outputs a change on CC74, the value change instead leaves my MIDI interface on CC86. There's 3 or 4 CC# changes I would need to be build if I could get my head around it.

Does that sound like a pipe dream? I can't figure it out...

Thanks!

Stew

What have you done so far? A screenshot would be helpful to see what you are trying to do and how.

It's not a pipe dream, MIDI manipulation is generally pretty easy to do, so you're expectations are not too high! ;)

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

That's great to hear! I haven't successfully done much of anything :(

I've been poking around with putting a transformer before the delay as a MIDI instrument but can't make heads or tails of the conditions in the transformer as I've never used it before...1835400314_ScreenShot2022-07-30at3_15_33PM.thumb.png.e4b5671a48d457a3c2464d854cf537bf.png

50 minutes ago, stewdio said:

I've been poking around with putting a transformer before the delay as a MIDI instrument but can't make heads or tails of the conditions in the transformer as I've never used it before...

It's pretty straightforward, but let's start with routing. In the first screenshot, you have a transformer object, outputting to an instrument object called "delay".

From what it looks like, you are not routing any MIDI data into the transformer, therefore it has nothing to process, and will therefore send nothing to the Delay instrument? Or have you assigned this transformer object to an arrange track and are routing MIDI into it that way? (If so, that's fine, and incoming data will be routed to the transformer and processed. I just can't see the tracks list to see whether this is the case).

I just want to check that you are routing correctly for your needs first.

(You talk about an AU plugin sending MIDI, so I'm not sure of the routing. AU plugins can't output MIDI to Logic, so I'm assuming they are outputting MIDI to a dedicated MIDI port directly, in which case Logic isn't involved and can't process that MIDI data... Without know exactly how you are connecting things, I'm not sure of the routing you are trying to achieve.)

-

In the second screenshot, you are using a condition splitter, quite an advanced use of the transformer. Is this intentional, or is it a case of "not sure how any of this works" type thing?

Generally speaking, if you just want to modify certain MIDI events, you want a mode of "Apply operation and let non-matching events pass through".

The top row is the events you want to modify - say a CC74. The bottom row is what you want those events you selected in the top row, to be changed into - say a CC86, with the same value.

1175983522_Screenshot2022-07-30at15_05_51.thumb.png.8026bc276958f6b9942a1b2d4be00822.png

That's all you need to do. You can have as many transformers as you need, and exactly how you set them up will depend on your exact needs, but that should get you going...

Edited by des99

Thanks - that helps me understand the transformer much better! Everything I'm doing with this so far is a case of "not sure how any of it works" but I think I understand the overall concept now and your example is very clear of how to set the transformer to do what I need...

I had been hoping that by putting the transformer before the external instrument that any message destined for that specific port/channel combo would pass through but I see now that's not how it works and it's more analogous to  'signal flow'

My challenge from here will be to find a way to route the MIDI output of the plugin somehow into the transformer, possibly requiring going directly out from the plugin, then back into a logic MIDI input, through the transformer and then back out another port. Time to dig out my dedicated MIDI interface and experiment...

thanks for your help! 

Best,

Stew

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 4.43.40 PM.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stewdio said:

My challenge from here will be to find a way to route the MIDI output of the plugin somehow into the transformer, possibly requiring going directly out from the plugin, then back into a logic MIDI input, through the transformer and then back out another port.

I suspected as much! ;)

If you want Logic to do this, then you'll need to set the plugin to output MIDI to the IAC Bus (turn it on in the Audio/MIDI Setup utility if it's not already active).

Now MIDI sent to that virtual port will come back into Logic. From there, tap off the incoming MIDI on the IAC port (locate the MIDI input object in the "Clicks & Ports" layer in the environment), and cable just that port's output triangle to your transformer, and from there, back to your Delay instrument to reach your ultimate destination.

Post back if you get stuck with this, and remember to use Logic's MIDI monitors to inspect the MIDI traffic so you can see the events that are moving through the environment.

Edited by des99