Using Audio as a source for modulation. Is it posible?

Ciro Hartmann Martin

Hey, guys. I was wondering if there is a way to use de amplitude of an audio file as a modulation source to control a parameter from a plug in in other track. I think this may be achieved if there is a way to convert audio amplitude to values of midi cc for example, or maybe to automation values. I've found some plug ins that convert audio to midi cc (https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/downloads) but they are not supported by logic :(. If any of you knows a way to do this it would help me very much.
Thank you!

Ciro. 

1 hour ago, Atlas007 said:

I think that what you describe is called sidechaining. Different plugins uses that feature for specific predetermined parameters and purposes.

Any one of those Blue Cat Audio’s MIDI & Automation Generation plugins could achieve what you’re looking for…

:!: ***Note that I didn’t try any of them***.

Thank you! those plug ins look good. I will try to find a cheaper solution but if I can't one of those plug ins will have to be it.

47 minutes ago, des99 said:

Also, some of Logic's synths and plugins let you use the sidechain input as a modulator - ES2, EXS24 etc, possibly Alchemy (can't remember).

Ok, this is really cool, thank you, I didn't know. I just tried it and it's amazing. The only thing is that I was not imagining exactly sidechain, instead I was thinking a kind of modulation with more frequency of steps like a ring modulation. I don't know if I'm explaining it right because my english is not that good but what I'm trying to achieve is what you would have one you plug audio in a cv input of a modular synth. It is like sidechain but instead of picking the approximate shape of the audio wave as an envelope it goes though every peak and valley of the source sound. I've tried this kind of things in VCV Rack. like plug an oscillator to the control of the cutoff of a filter and it's very interesting. But I am not finding a way to do this sort of things in logic :(

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ciro Hartmann Martin said:

like plug an oscillator to the control of the cutoff of a filter and it's very interesting. But I am not finding a way to do this sort of things in logic

Indeed without 3rd party plug-ins there's no way to do that in Logic Pro. Side chain inputs typically allow you to use the amplitude of an audio signal as a modulation source inside a synth or sampler, except for the vocoder which uses it as the audio source.