Mac OS X 10.14 and Logic Pro X 10.2.2

RoyFan

Hey Everyone.

In the past when I've asked advise on if a certain Mac OS works well with my Logic Pro X (i purposely haven't upgraded my Logic Pro)

I know the usual wisdom is there's no guarantee.  I know I can do a time machine back up etc.,

But does anyone remember using Mac OS X 10.14 with this Logic Pro X? 

I can't say anything to your specific combination, but I'd like to weigh in: 

1.) You can have multiple versions installed.

I need to work with an older Logic version to create files for a stage machine running an older OS. 

You can keep multiple versions of Logic on a single machine. Right-click on the Logic icon in Finder and "Compress Logic Pro X.app" to create a .zip file.

Then you can run the App Store update to get the latest version. 

When that's done, unzip the .zip archive, and you have two versions. (I rename the older versions with the version number.)

Note that saving a file with the newer version generally means that the older one will refuse to open it, so BE CAREFUL AND WORK WITH CONSTANT BACKUPS. 

2.) You can just copy the Logic Pro X.app to a different machine to test drive it on that system.
 I've just tested 10.4.8 on a new M1 MacBook Air running Monterey 12.5, and everything appears to be working just fine. Just as a reference point of what sort of backwards compatibility you might be able to expect. 
I transferred it using AirDrop. 

Edited by analogika
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, analogika said:

I can't say anything to your specific combination, but I'd like to weigh in: 

Hey thanks so much I really appreciate it.  OK, I'm doing a time machine backup to an external drive.

Just to make sure I got you.

The time machine SW creates just one file I believe that can then be clicked on to revert back? That will be on my external drive

I'm going to update to that OS I mentioned in the store.  I hope it's still available to get it's been a while I  think since it came out.

Does that overwrite the Logic I have now?  hopefully no and I'll first try that OS - Logic Combination.

Worst case scenario I can try other Logic versions if that one is problematic.. and lastly worst again just revert via Time Machine to today's state.

One LAST q :-)    Time Machine reverts are pretty much one thing that is Air Tight?  ie -  no instabilities like OS upgrades / updates can cause?  

Thanks again for your quick reply, was bogged down here for a while

1 hour ago, RoyFan said:

Hey thanks so much I really appreciate it.  OK, I'm doing a time machine backup to an external drive.

Just to make sure I got you.

The time machine SW creates just one file I believe that can then be clicked on to revert back? That will be on my external drive

I'm going to update to that OS I mentioned in the store.  I hope it's still available to get it's been a while I  think since it came out.

Does that overwrite the Logic I have now?  hopefully no and I'll first try that OS - Logic Combination.

Just knee-jerking on a pet peeve: A backup can ALWAYS go wrong. ;)

Updating from the App Store WILL overwrite your version of Logic with the newer one. Reverting from Time Machine should restore the earlier version, yes. But remember: Any files you've created or edited and saved with the newer version will probably no longer work in the older version of Logic. 

To keep multiple versions of Logic on your machine, the easiest way is: 

1. Right-click on the Logic icon in Finder and "Compress Logic Pro X.app" to create a .zip file of the Logic application.

2. Update Logic via the App Store. 
The non-zipped application in your /Applications folder is now updated to the latest version. 

3. double-click the .zip file you created in Step 1. You now have TWO versions of Logic in your /Applications folder — the previous one and the latest one you've updated to via the App Store.  

Edited by analogika

From my experience, LPX works fine with macOS 10.14 (i.e. Mojave). And, if I'm not mistaken, Mojave supports Logic up to ver. 10.5.1 only (that's the latest you can get under Mojave, in other words). I think, earlier versions like the one you ask about should run quite fine. Also, I absolutely support what analogika wrote above re manual Logic app backups.

Edited by Radarhus

15 hours ago, Radarhus said:

From my experience, LPX works fine with macOS 10.14 (i.e. Mojave). And, if I'm not mistaken, Mojave supports Logic up to ver. 10.5.1 only (that's the latest you can get under Mojave, in other words). I think, earlier versions like the one you ask about should run quite fine. Also, I absolutely support what analogika wrote above re manual Logic app backups.

You can't imagine what a warm feeling in my belly that gives me. :-) :-)

Yes I back up to DropBox with the App. 

The problem of time machine backups not being 100% is a very big problem.. .I would get a new Mac but there's no guarantee of things working on that.  Can't get a new one with Mojave...  mac support said the people in the store don't know which Os is on which computer :-(      Any good used mac forums people know of?

11 hours ago, RoyFan said:

Any good used mac forums people know of?

Unfortunately, not familiar with such boards. If you're looking for a used Mac, I'd recommend looking up online marketplaces in your location or maybe on social media.

Also, if it's just macOS 10.14 you're after and not the Mac, then good news is, Apple allows downloading legacy macOS installers and creating bootable USB drives. Details here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Edited by Radarhus

17 hours ago, RoyFan said:

You can't imagine what a warm feeling in my belly that gives me. :-) :-)

Yes I back up to DropBox with the App. 

The problem of time machine backups not being 100% is a very big problem.. .I would get a new Mac but there's no guarantee of things working on that.  Can't get a new one with Mojave...  mac support said the people in the store don't know which Os is on which computer :-(      Any good used mac forums people know of?

Mojave hasn't been on new computers since 2019. Anything sold since 2020 won't run Mojave at all, unless you run it in a virtual machine. 

If "the people in the store don't know which OS is on which computer", that means that they can't tell from the outside which OS is preinstalled.

But any model that was released after a new macOS was announced will definitely have AT LEAST that version installed. The M1 Pro/Max 14" and 16" MacBooks Pro, for instance, came out when Monterey was released and will not run anything older (no Big Sur). 

The only time there can be uncertainty is what is on shop stock around the time a macOS update is released. When Ventura is released this fall, there will still be boxed machines with pre-installed Monterey in the shops for a while to come, and there is no way of telling whether a machine you buy will have Ventura or Monterey preinstalled. 

You mentioned installing Logic OSs from downloaded dmgs , etc

I spoke to support on the phone, they mentioned, if I understood correctly that most (if not all)

iMacs made recently wouldn't be able to run Mojave because of imcompatible HW

If the true answer is that it "may work" with a new mac, i'd rather now get involved...

.  Any thing to do in that case other than a used?

5 hours ago, RoyFan said:

You mentioned installing Logic OSs from downloaded dmgs , etc

I spoke to support on the phone, they mentioned, if I understood correctly that most (if not all)

iMacs made recently wouldn't be able to run Mojave because of imcompatible HW

If the true answer is that it "may work" with a new mac, i'd rather now get involved...

.  Any thing to do in that case other than a used?

Yes, as I wrote above, Macs (with two or so exceptions) will only run the version of macOS that was current when they were released. 

The only option other than buying used is to borrow a more current machine from somebody to test it. 

That’s what I did. 

15 hours ago, triplets said:

Correct.

If you want to know which Macs can run what go to:

www.everymac.com

At the bottom of any model it will say, original OS and latest possible OS.

Thanks my Friend!   I found  a computer I'm gonna go with.  late 2019..  I don't think it's gonna come with Logic.  are the steps needed to install my Logic Pro X (on my current iMac) simply to transfer the  App file?

Or like Analogika metnioned to compress the Logic Pro X File? put it on an external disk.. then paste it to the Applications folder of the new imac and unzip?   i'm assuming it might not that simple and I have to download disk image for it?   just don't know how to do that for my exact version..thanks in advance..

51 minutes ago, RoyFan said:

compress the Logic Pro X File? put it on an external disk.. then paste it to the Applications folder of the new imac and unzip? 

This. 

Any disk image of Logic you're going to find online either predates the move to the App Store (version 9) or, if it's Logic Pro X, it's probably illegitimate, and I wouldn't install it on any of my machines.